The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know your actually depressed?
I am a teenager and i was diagnosed in jan
but i think i am depressed...
what do i do ..? i feel no one understands me or what i feel..
HELP!!:eek:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
First of all welcome to the site. Have you got a good doctor to talk too.? It may help to tell them how you are feeling. I myself suffer from depression, but doing well now, due to a change in my medication for the depression. Lupus itself can cause depression. Wish I could be of more help

Sheila xox

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I think it's probably about "normal" to become at least a little bit depressed following a lupus diagnosis. I would say, if you think you are depressed; then you probably are depressed. It would be best to mention your concerns to your doctor, and ask to be referred for counseling or a psychiatrist. There are actually "tests" that you can take as well that are diagnostic. Some are online, but it's best to see a professional.

I'm sorry for how you're feeling right now, just remember that this is a temporary problem and it will pass. Chances are very good that you will get the lupus symptoms/depression under control, and you'll get back to doing more of the things you enjoy.

(((hugs)))

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi there

Welcome to the site. Im sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It can come as quite a shock. What symptoms do you have? What medications are you on? It can take a while to get the right combination of medications to bring your lupus under control.

Do you have family or friends you could confide in? If you are still in school it would be a good idea to talk to a teacher or school counsellor about how you are feeling. Depression can be a part of Lupus itself but it can also come about because of the reaction to being diagnosed with a chronic illness.

Like Maia says, if you think you are depressed then you undoubtedly are. It doesnt necessarily mean that you might mean medication - it may mean that you need someone to help you come to terms with your diagnosis.

Please confide in someone and let them know how you are feeling and ask for help. You can get through this but you will need some support to do it.

In the meantime please feel free to ask any questions about Lupus or let us know how it affects you.

Take good care for now
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joandublin;502987 said:
Hi there

Welcome to the site. Im sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It can come as quite a shock. What symptoms do you have? What medications are you on? It can take a while to get the right combination of medications to bring your lupus under control.

Do you have family or friends you could confide in? If you are still in school it would be a good idea to talk to a teacher or school counsellor about how you are feeling. Depression can be a part of Lupus itself but it can also come about because of the reaction to being diagnosed with a chronic illness.

Like Maia says, if you think you are depressed then you undoubtedly are. It doesnt necessarily mean that you might mean medication - it may mean that you need someone to help you come to terms with your diagnosis.

Please confide in someone and let them know how you are feeling and ask for help. You can get through this but you will need some support to do it.

In the meantime please feel free to ask any questions about Lupus or let us know how it affects you.

Take good care for now
Joan:rose:

thank you well i am on plaquenil and i looked it up recently and all the symptoms are there
i am maybe depressed cause i am not on the right medication after all i've just been diagnosed.. i guess i am just depressed because i am only 16 and i dont get to do the things i want to my arthritis kills me...

i really need help

thanks for caring

1 - 5 of 5 Posts