The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( hi everyone..this christmas was the best. but then all of a sudden i had a really sore throat and a really bad hacking sound cough. Well that seemed to have cleared away on its on with some nasty cough medicine. Well couple of days later..i had the sore throat again but that went away then i had the hacking cough again. i lost my appetite and seemed to be getting worse. well yesterday my grandma took me to the doctor and he said i was seriously ill with maybe the cold or an infection i'm not sure..i'm only 16 and i want my life back!! i just wanna know if i'm going to die with the infection..i'm really scared cus i havne't had the cold or infection before with the lupus and i don't know what to expect. i'm on medication for it but my doctor said if i don't get better soon i will have to go to the hospital for intravenual medication for the cold or infection. help????

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
If you are in the UK you will probably know that this hacking cough etc. has been around for weeks. I now have it for the second time. Even members of my family who are healthy keep getting it,so you must not be surprised that you have. I know you are frightened, and this cough does seem to come back,but please believe me it is not going to be like this all the time.
x Lola

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Ceecee:hugbetter:

Im really sorry you are so sick and scared. It must be very frightening to hear someone say 'you're seriously ill' :hugbetter: Please dont be too worried. Even if you have to go into hospital they are all geared up in there to make sure that you get better.

Are you on anti-biotics for the infection? Sometimes people with Lupus need an extra dose of antibiotics to overcome infections and it could even be that IV antibiotics might be whats needed for you. Perhaps thats what your doctor was trying to say?

Just remember Ceecee that if you do feel much worse its better that you are under the close care of your doctors. They can help you best at these worrying times.

There are lots of people here who have been very ill and have had to go through difficult treatments but they are still here today posting on the boards so thats good news:)

Please let us know how you are doing. Sending you much love and hugs from across the pond in Ireland. Thinking of you. Hang in there young girl. You will get through this.

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
CeeCee,

I am sorry you are so frightened. Hopefully, knowing your seriously ill, you will take extra good care of yourself, and be one the mend very soon. Try, and stay in, and stay and warm and drink plenty of water..If your on a antibiotic, make sure you take every dose on time. I am sure, your mom will be on watch for you too.

I hope you feel better really soon CeeCee, try not to be frightened. I will be thinking of you..

Sandy

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
(((((((( CeeCee )))))))) All those little ((( things are hugs. :) I wish I could be with you and give you a big, warm hug in person. I'm so sorry to hear that you are scared and worried. I understand how troubling all this must be. Do try not to worry too much. It will keep you from eating and sleeping properly. And both those things will help you get well. It sounds like your doctor knows how to care for you. That's good news. Try to relax, follow doctor's orders and don't panic. You can ask questions at doctor appointments. Tell your mom that you would like more information about your treatment. You are old enough to be involved in discussions with your doctors.

And remember, anytime you are frightened or lonely you can come here and post and read posts and maybe find a friendly voice in the chat room. Most of us have been where you are now, labeled "seriously ill" and feeling scared about that. I know I have been. Sometimes we just have to be brave and trust that we are being cared for in the best way.

In the meantime, I will send many hugs and good thoughts and prayers for you to be well and to feel safe.

Hugs,
Sunny

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Hi CeeCee,

:hugbetter: With Lupus we sometimes get sicker than our family does in the same house. The colds that are going around have the potential to become pneumonia and that is probably why if you don't get better you will need to go to the hospital.

The chances of dying are almost nil even with lupus. They know how to treat pneumonia and infections. I hear you feeling like you have none of your life left anymore and that can be depressing sometimes. Make sure if you start feeling worse you let your family know so they can call the doctor. The worst thing we do is not call our doctors when we are sick.

Keep us up to date on how you are doing.

Luv ya,
Karen

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Just because you have Lupus and you have now gotten an infection doesn't necessarily mean that you are in a grave condition.......you do have to maybe take extra precautions but no, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are going to die. If the medication that you are on right now at home doesn't kick the infection, then yeah, you might have to go into the hospital and get IV drugs and fluids, not a big deal. I have been there many times and am still kicking hard.....sorry to my enemies......LOL.

Because I have Lupus, I take extra precations during cold and flu season and when I know that something is going around. I will wear a mask, use hand sanitizer (alot) and be sure to have lots of hand lotion because from all the handwashing, your hands will get dry. I also avoid places that are having outbreaks of infection. If the flu is going thru your school, it might be in your best interest to stay home. Inform your teachers and principal why you are not there and get your homework and make sure that you get it turned in on time every time. That way they do not have a problem when you stay home from school.

Just because you have Lupus, doesn't mean that you will have no life, it might be a little altered, but you will have a life. Go out and enjoy it before you have to settle down into adulthood!

Nancy

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you

thank you everyone for ur support. it means so much to me that some of yall have went through the same thing and it turned out fine. i have hope!!! i'm actually getting quite better also. but i don't know if i can go to school tomorow though lol!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts