The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
My name is Jenna, but I am not diagnosed with lupus. As a child my best friends older sister was diagnosed with the disease and was in and out of the hospital until her untimely death at 15. Having someone close to me go through the confusing experience of having lupus struck a chord with me, and I have been interested in the disease since then.
At the moment, I am an Anthropology student at the University of Kent in Canterbury, Kent. I am doing my Masters in social anthropology, and have taken quite a turn towards the medical anthropology side. I am doing a project that involves people who are suffering with Lupus and their personal experiences with the disease, with coming to terms with having the disease, as well as the process that they went through to get diagnosed with the disease, or even if they are not yet diagnosed, I want to know how they are feeling.

The Title of my project is "The Conceptualization of the Body and the Anthropology of Autoimmune Disorders". I will also put in the summary of my research, and am hoping that someone (or many someones) would like to talk to me about their experiences.

Summary: The aim of this research is to look into how illness, and the experience of sickness (specifically autoimmune disorders, where it is the body attacking itself) can offer insight into understanding the “mindful body” (Scheper-Hughes & Lock 1987). What sorts of symptoms are experienced, and how are they articulated? The body can be seen as a natural symbol in the western society, it provides us with our richest sources of metaphors when dealing with health (including that of a healthy society). ‘Body image’ as the communal and personal representations about the body is in direct relation to the environment, including both internal and external perceptions.

I can forward anyone my entire research proposal if they would like to read more about what I have read, and what I am trying to explore. And I would greatly appreciate any insights or comments for improvement from anyone.

Thank you for taking the time to read this :)
Jenna

·
4,445 Posts
Hi Jenna, my daughter is studying Forensic Science at Canterbury, just finished year 2.. I was diagnosed with MCTD, an overlap of lupus, schleroderma, hypothyroid and raynauds disease.... if I can be of help don't hesitate to e mail me. I wish you luck, as any research hilights these diseases and may help towards a treatment or cure that improves life etc... good luck with your research.
Claire XX

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Jenna, Im a MSc student also (Health Research) at Durham University. I too am just about to carry out my dissertation (phenomenological - Hermaneutic) though this has now been deferred due to my recent diagnosis. Have you read Brody's 'Stories of Sickness' (Im sure you have but if not it may be insightful). Im happy for you to contact me also.
k :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Claire, I might contact you with some questions, I will try to link up my dissertation proposal on this thread here in a little bit. I have all sorts of questions about how you feel about what you are going through, both from when you were diagnosed to now, how you feel about it.

And Mrssad, I have not read that, and am going to look into it right away :) Thank you, any help or readings that anyone finds helpful is going to be great :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you haven't seen this forum, I will send a little link.

I am still struggling with some of the nuances of my research, so any help that can be given is greatly appreciated. Even the comments from users with their struggle with being diagnosed is extremely helpful in what I am looking at. I would like to do life histories with some people, just a few. To hear their expereinces in life pre and post diagnosis, if there are memories. Or even just their life as they see fit, struggling with what can be a life long disease.

uupps, I cannot post a link, but the topic is just under the research topic entitled, "Small Research Project"

Thank you all again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello all;
I have created an online survey for people to fill out on their experiences and thoughts on Lupus and the illness.
If anyone wants to do this survey for me, I would greatly appreciate it, as it would forward my research so much.

I cannot post links still, as I haven't enough posts, but if you would like to, just tell me on here, either via private message, or just post something and I will forward the survey to you.

Thank you again for your time and help :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.