TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tearing my hair out here!!!

If my ANA titre is positive at 1/1000 ( my hospital does it this way!) and the value given is 160iu/ml, is this significant. I know they look at an overall picture, but shouldn't questions be raised it's at this level and i'm not symptomless.

Please help.

Woo

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Woo,

I didnt understand this reading when you mentioned it a while back and I don't really understand it now I'm afraid :( :hug:

There is an ANA direct reading where anything over 120 is classed as positive:

Reference Interval
  • Negative: 0-99 units/mL
  • Equivocal: 100-120 units/mL
  • Positive: >120 units/mL
http://www.labcorp.com/datasets/labcorp/html/chapter/mono/ai003200.htm

and then there is the titre method:

http://www.bchealthguide.org/kbase/topic/medtest/hw2297/results.htm

A positive ANA does not mean it's Lupus, there are many other reasons for a positive ANA, even some drugs can cause it, and viruses etc. etc.

A positive ANA by itself is not enough to diagnose Lupus but if you had 3 other criteria used to diagnose Lupus then it would probably be enough, provided those criteria have no other reason for their presence. (sorry I don't know what your symptoms are).

The criteria are:

The Eleven Criteria Used for the Diagnosis of Lupus and their definition:

Malar Rash - Rash over the cheeks

Discoid Rash - Red raised patches

Photosensitivity - Reaction to sunlight, resulting in the development of or increase in skin rash

Oral Ulcers -Ulcers in the nose or mouth, usually painless

Arthritis -Nonerosive arthritis involving two or more peripheral joints (arthritis in which the bones around the joints do not become destroyed)

Serositis - Pleuritis or pericarditis (inflammation of the lining of the lung or heart)

Renal Disorder -Excessive protein in the urine (greater than 0.5 gm/day or 3+ on test sticks) and/or cellular casts (abnormal elements the urine, derived from red and/or white cells and/or kidney tubule cells)

Neurologic Disorder -Seizures (convulsions) and/or psychosis in the absence of drugs or metabolic disturbances which are known to cause such effects

Hematologic Disorder -Hemolytic anemia or leukopenia (white blood count below 4,000 cells per cubic millimeter) or lymphopenia (less than 1,500 lymphocytes per cubic millimeter) or thrombocytopenia (less than 100,000 platelets per cubic millimeter). The leukopenia and lymphopenia must be detected on two or more occasions. The thrombocytopenia must be detected in the absence of drugs known to induce it.

Antinuclear Antibody -Positive test for antinuclear antibodies (ANA) in the absence of drugs known to induce it.

Immunologic Disorder -Positive anti-double stranded anti-DNA test, positive anti-Sm test, positive antiphospholipid antibody such as anticardiolipin, or false positive syphilis test (VDRL).
http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_empty.aspx?a=402&z=76&page=2

Hope this helps,

love
Lily

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lily, you are as kind and helpful as always. :)

I have 3? at present and had pleuisy at uni... ( possibly viral though) they also though I had MS at uni due to various symptoms which was put down to an over active immune system.

My latest lymphocyte count is 1,000 per cubic millimeter. I bruise really easily ( I still have the tail end of one where they took bloods 2 weeks ago) and have gums that bleed. ( my dentist now lets me queue jump as well due to the amount of absesses I've had).

My fingers swell so much sometimes I can't get my rings off, it's my PIPs that are affected.

I would never try to tell my GP what to do or that I know better but really want this to be looked into. The latest Rheumy says it's not RA but OA but my symptoms don't seem to match, the x-rays showed cartalige damage but nothing else, and why my hands?? I don't walk on them!! or have damaged them!!

I'm so tired and this hasn't helped, I'm lucky I can work from home as sometimes I just can't function.

I'm also away on holiday in just over a week and I'm hoping the warmth and rest will help.

Thanks again Lily

1 - 3 of 3 Posts