The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had SLE for 10 years, and my pattern has always been homogeneous. My latest lab work came back speckled. Is this typical?

Craig

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I wouldn't say it's typical, but it's not altogether uncommon either. There are people that will have two patterns identified at the same time even too! Both of the patterns you've tested positive for...are fairly common among people diagnosed with lupus.

I am wondering why they are bothering to test the ANA after 10 years with lupus? The chief value of this test is in diagnosis, it does not relate to disease activity. Even if the ANA returns to negative, it doesn't mean you've been cured/no longer have lupus.

I reached a point where I told them I no longer wanted it run, b/c I didn't want to have to pay for any part of it when it really did nothing for me anymore!

Hope you're managing well at the moment.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It had been several months since the rheumy had seen me, so it gave him a good excuse to run a massive battery of blood tests. It all comes down to money.... I do have psoriatic arthritis, spondylitis and sjogrens in addition to APS/CNS lupus, so he was checking my blood for many things because of Enbrel, methotrexate and Cellcept.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I always have the two patterns at the same time, homogenous and speckled. I still don't totally understand the blood tests...lol.
I have had the ana run several times also. I guess they just want to make sure sometimes or feel better when they see the positive ana.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts