The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I posted a couple of weeks ago and my ana was a low positive after going to the MD for my Raynaud's. (1:160). I was just tested about a month ago at a sleep center for my extreme fatigue, which showed nothing. So she retested my ANA this week and it is 1:80, so she said since it went down she doesnt think that it is a connective tissue problem.

Should I just leave it at this? I do have handfulls of hair that fall out when I go through times of stress, just a bit at all other times. I have extreme photosensitivity. And I didnt tell her all this other stuff, because i didnt think it had anything to do with anything, I was just there to make sure that my feet turning different colors in temp change was ok or not.

Thanks for all the kind words.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi

I'm no expert in test results but I think the ANA can fluctuate (someone please put me straight). Do mention all your symptoms to your doc, then they can get the whole picture and not just test results.

Hope you can get some answers.

Judi xx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The nurse just said that if i had anyother symptoms to follow up with them. But, I just dont want to be seen as a hypochondriach, ya know. I am a nurse too, so that in itself makes me a bad patient. I dunno. I guess I will just wait it out, and when I feel a downfall coming on i will go back to her.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi momma,

The ANA can go up and down like a yoyo. She's probably not pursuing this further because you havent told her all that has been going on. Symptoms are just as important as bloods as far as diagnosing goes.

Have you mentioned the petichae you had a while back, the extreme photosensitivity, the extreme hairloss? If not then this will shed a different light on what that positive ANA means. A low positive ANA without symptoms they dont concern themselves with, but with the above symptoms she would most certainly run other tests which should be run to find out how all this is affecting you. It's not always obvious, certainly wasnt to me early on until I ended up having some organ damage.

love
Lily

·
Registered
198 Posts
It took me 3 years to get a diagnoses. My ANA started out at 1:360 and 2 years later was 1: 2560, speckled pattern. Other tests then became positive for lupus and I am SSA positive anti ro. My Rheumy doctor followed my flareups and me for 2+ years which made her diagnosis conclusive. Good Luck. The not knowing is harder to deal with than knowing and treating.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Momma, Why can't you ask her for a referral to be seen by a Rheumy, and then make your appt. Then while you are watching the days go by until your appt., you can make your list of things that are your symptoms. Lupus is dx by bloods and symptoms, and the dr.'s observation of you. It is just a thought, but you need to write these things down and make someone look at them. Sorry, I got emotional.:wink2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all so much for your replies. I just feel like I am just making all this stuff up in my head that's all. I just feel like a bother to them if I keep complaining. I have to go back to her on the 28th for a follow up to the lexapro she started me on for my anxiety, which is currently working wonderf for that. so i think that I will just talk with her then. I just know that both of the AnA's they ran are low positive, so i didnt want them to be bothered with me thinking something else is wrong. I wouldn't want to get a dx of lupus or ctd but, on the other hand, not knowing why I am feeling this way sucks too. THanks again for all of the advice and kind words.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Momma,

Lily is so right. It is very important to find out as soon as possible, if there is a disease process going on..because damage can result from not getting a diagnosis sooner..

Best Wishes,

Sandy

·
rockstar!
837 Posts
Momma -- it is possible to have a weakly positive ANA and still have a connective tissue disease...it just takes more persistence. My ANA is usually 1:160, but can fluctuate lower and one dilution higher (only once has this happened). For me to be diagnosed, it took having more clear evidence of a connective tissue disease. Personally, this included pleural effusion and pericardial effusion both being documented through scans or echos. Those gave the docs more confidence that my ANA was not just a fluke thing, even if it was low. They also paid attention to what happens in my CBC, including low white blood cells and platelets. These things are just as important!

Good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Momma, I am not diagnosed and I have been running a low ANA (1:80-1:160) for 5 years now. My Dr. believes that I have a grumbling disease however. I have many symptoms also and some positive blood work. I was interested to read about your anxiety. I was wondering if this could be part of the disease process. I know in the other classification ( can't think of the name right now) that agoraphobia is concidered important. I'm not sure if anxiety is also. This struck me as my daughter (20 yrs. old) has started to develop symptoms now and anxiety is one of them. She also has joint pain and huge almost constant mouth sores. The Dr. has checked her and her ANA is negative for now. Just wondered if anyone knows the significance of anxiety. You have mentioned that the Lexapro is helping you. I want my daughter to ask about something for herself as she's got to the point that she doesn't want to go to school or work because she nervous about everything, not like her.
Momma, just hang in there and know that you are not alone.
Hugs, Tallulah

1 - 10 of 10 Posts