The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone can tell me if you can still have Lupus if you have a negative ANA result I havn't had mine back yet, but just wondered if it is negative what will happen will they just send me away, and say get on with it? What other tests can confirm it??

Thank you
:)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Beci!

The ANA test does not diagnose lupus. It is used as a first line test to determine if there be an autoimmune process going on. Usually, further testing is done if the ANA comes back positive. Lupus is diagnosed using a combination of lab results and medical history.

It is certainly possible to have lupus with a negative ANA, as several people here can tell you from personal experience. It happens in a small percentage of cases, so it is unusual.

I think most of us probably worried that their ANA would be negative early on in the diagnostic process. I know I was worried about it, too! Mine came back 1:1280, which is quite high. My advice would be to try to put the "what if" thoughts aside. Worrying over the results won't change them, and could make you feel worse.

Good luck, and I hope you receive your results soon!

Terri

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well mine flip flop back and forth. All I can tell you is if you have other symptoms and signs they it should work out in the end. It can mean a longer process to be labled as SLE, but it you should always keep a positive outlook and fight to be treated no matter what the ANA test show.

If you dont get the results you want from one dc you can always get a second and third opinion. Dont give up!!!

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Yes, you can have Lupus and no positive ANA test, a lot of people in here do.
The fact is that lupus is DX by more things than blood, the blood is just used as
a direction guide for which way to go. Diagnosis includes, bloods, symptoms, history, and what the dr. observes at each visit. Be well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts