The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had changing ana reading for 4 yrs. now. Always higher in summer (1:2560), lower in winter (1:320). Alway patterned speckled. Is this normal? And if so, once you are positive can your reading return to a negative. What is the highest reading you all have had?
I can tell by how I feel when my level is going up. And sun, heat and stress are great catapults.
I still do not have a solid lupus diagnosis. Just a lot of maybe, maybe nots. And one big fat fibro flag.:blush:
I don't know sometime how all you brave people have dealt with all this for so long. My husband just thinks it's in my head or a big act.

Keep up the good fight,
Dawn

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Dawn

It is common for the ANA to vary and it isn't generally taken as sign of disease activity but it might be especially when the rise occurs at regular times when the risk factors such as sun exposure are high.
Also, for diagnosis only a one time significantly elevated ANA is necessary for diagnosis, although you might get doctors who don't realise that.
Anyway, 1:1280 is definitely significantly high.
I've read you previous posts - from all your symptoms it is very likely you have lupus not that I am a doctor.
I hope you can resolve the treatment predicament soon and start getting some proper treatment.

Maybe somebody here can advise you.

Has any additional antibody testing ever been done? Do you have urine checked regularly ? Get your GP to do as much as he can.

All the best
Clare

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Dawn, and welcome to this site. What is normal for you,
and what is normal for someone else may be two different things, we are not clones. As well, some Rheumy's will diagnose Lupus without the ana. And yes, I have heard of the ana being there one time, and then not being there at another time. I know how you feel, I have been there. You are sure that everyone thinks that you have lost your mind, or that you are making it all up, or any number of things. But remember that no one knows your body better than you do. So, just fluff-off the looks and the coments, and write your daily symptoms in a journal. Know your true self, and
you will be fine. Keep posting.:wink2:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi Dawn,

In answer to your question, yes, ANA can change and go negative. Mine have been up and down over the last 4 years, seem to be up most often when checked in the Fall (after all the sunshine from the summer?) and are usually around 1:1280 or on the new ANA tests >3.0. I have been as low as 1:160 which is considered "negative" by the lab my Rheumy uses, but that was just 1 time, in the spring. I agree with the others, it doesn't really reflect how active things, just confirms you have an autoimmune process going on. Hopefully you are getting treatment regardless of what diagnosis you have/don't have. I am not diagnosed with Lupus, but am being treated with NSAIDS, Plaquenil for the fatigue, joint and muscle pain etc...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts