TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I was just wondering if anyone else has had a previous positive ANA result and then a negative one. I was told 6 years ago that I tested positive for ANA and that I may have lupus or RA (I actually have hypermobile joints and fibromyalgia). My recent bloods have shown a negative ANA (and low Vit B12) and I wonder if the first results were maybe wrong......or are the recent ones wrong? I'll take the second set...thank you. Any advice or comments please, thank you
Lynn

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Lynn and welcome back !

The ANA can vary from time to time even in people who have lupus especially if they are being treated effectively. If you have no current symptoms of lupus it would make even more sense that it was negative now.
Perhaps it was elevated for some other reason especially if the titre was on the low side.

:)
Clare

·
Registered
175 Posts
I asked my doc about this not too long ago, he said that I was positive at first & now they are treating it and as long as it is being treated & you are not in a flare, it should be negative.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Claire.T & erenae1974, I have been away for a while (really busy now I have 3 kids, and studing my Masters Degree). Thanks for the replies and words of wisdom. I have been diagnosed as hypermobile and Fibro but not lupus (I don't have lupus symptoms). My titre was on the low side so I suppose things may have settled down. Will just get it rechecked in a year or so. Thanks again
Lynn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts