The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wounder in i had a ANA in my menstrual cycle time if i have lupus would there be a bigger chance it would be postive as was really unwell as always at that time

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hello!

I've not read anywhere that ANA test results are affected by the menstrual cycle. Illnesses such as infections can cause positive ANA results, but typically at a low titer.

Hope that helps!

Terri

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
the ANA does not reflect disease activity, so it really doesn't make much difference how you are feeling when you are tested.

Sometimes it goes negative if someone is in full remission, but otherwise it is usually a pretty constant presence with lupus.

hth

raglet

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you both for the replay

so if you are really ill with lupus like symptoms and the ANA it low or neg it can mean ever way that you do or dont have lupus is there any other bloods that would be 99% to lupus or are they all up and dow or neg but still have lupus

know i now why doctors are not 100% friendly thay must be a head ache with all the tests lol just the ANA test does my head why cant anythink be easy i wouldnt get bored lol

hugzzzzzzzzzz wendy

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Wendy
There are only two blood tests that will clinch a lupus diagnosis but not everybody has those antibodies. ANA is not specific to lupus but virtually everybody with lupus has them. It is very difficult to get a diagnosis without an ANA and often further tests won't be done if the ANA is negative or even very low.
That's why it can be essential to get the most expert advice available from doctors who are experienced enough to think out of the box. Diagnosis is done by taking all the possible factors into account.

Any news of the new appointment yet?

Good Luck!
Clare

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks again for info
nope not had a email from dr yet the last one he emailed me was saying he will look up my files and ive not gone to my gp or phoned to go privet to see the doctor you are under untill i get a email back from him as if he dont think theres any point as he might feel 100% i dont have lupus no point going and i just get back and get on with my symptoms just have to put up with it and just take day by day

hugzzzzzzzzz wendy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts