The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Brenda
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my foot surgery on monday and today had to have an emergency appointment with a physician. I'm short of breath, coughing, pain on breathing. he gave me a kenalog shot and antibiotic. He says I have bronchitis and irritated airway from the anesthesia. As I was waking up I was coughing my head off and told them my chest hurt and they said it was probably just acid from not having eatten. Aren't they suppose to check out chest pain when you are in the hospital? I mean, just before I went in the anesthesiologist wanted to back out of the surgery because of my pulmonary hypertension. Said it could cause heart failure and death. (lovely thing to hear on your way in to surgery) I've learned my lesson. NO MORE elective surgery. Just the stopping the antiinflammatory was probably enough to throw me in to pluerisy in the first place.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Brenda,

I am appauled but not surprised that they didn't check you chest pain out, especially with your health history. It seems many health providers ignore some of the patients issues if it has nothing to do with the original problem. It seems they want to hurry up and get you out of their facility so they do not have to take responsibility for whatever else might occur. It is get you in and get you out. Now, not all hospitals, etc have this problem, but there are those that do.

I hope you have a recovery that is a little more smooth and serene instead of packed with anxiety. When you encounter problems, it seems that your recovery time is alot longer and it does skew your thought on further surgeries.

good luck

Nancy

·
Brenda
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normal?

Is this just a fluke or is it something common with lupus that I hadn't considered? I just can't seem to get over this surgery/illness. I mean, it was monday and I still feel like I'm in a fog. I want to sleep all the time and I am getting worn out just taking a shower. I know the bronchitis/pluerisy has a little to do with this. But I've had surgery before and bounced back very quickly. Perhaps stopping the suldinac (antiinflam.) didn't help. This is just the first time that I can recall feeling "disabled" for so long.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Brenda,

Each surgery can effect you a little bit different than the previous. Your body has gome thru changes that you may or may not know about. The time of year, the amount of stress, the type of surgery, etc. Just because one might sail thru the first one, doesn't mean that the second one, etc will be the same.

I wish you the best and hope you have a faster recovery. Remember to continue to take deep breaths and keep those lungs good, clean and open. Don't try and push yourself. Just take it easy. Your body will tell you when it is ready.

Nancy

·
Brenda
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Nancy, for your words of encouragement. I love your new name :) We grow 3 different color peonies and they are so beautiful. Here's a pic.

·
Administrator
10,189 Posts
Hi Brenda,

Your peonies are beautiful. I wish they would grow here, but we get too much frost in the winter.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Brenda
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lazylegs,
Where are you? Those were grown in Kansas. We got lots of snow. After the peonies die, leave them about 2 months then cut them all the way to the ground. You can throw some straw or mulch on them after that if you want. They should survive the winter. I had those particular bushes for about 12 years. My mother in Kansas had them for over 30 years. The tip for big blooms is the letting it sit there for 2 months after they die. They are feeding themselves. It will look straggly, but don't cut them for 2 months.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Brenda,

I have loved peonies ever since I was a little girl. As a child we moved into my great grandfathers house and they peony bushes everywhere you looked. We had a bright pink, a medium/dark pink and a beautiful white. I loved going out and gathering them so much. The fragrance was ohhh so wonderful. Once I got a huge bunch, I remember I would have to carefully shake them to make sure all the ants were out of them or else my mom would get sooo mad!

Sometimes I would get some of my moms yarn and make me a crown. Thats how I thought of the new ID. About the time I recieved notice to update, we had received one of the gardening books! We are looking for a new home to purchase and I have informed my hubby that this house will have peony bushes as I miss them so much.

Nancy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts