TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

It has been awhile since I posted but wanted to ask about ankle pain. Do any of you get pains in your ankles? For the past several weeks my right ankle has been bothering me and at times can be very painful. I am not sure where this pain is coming from or why? It does not seem to be swelling but it seems to be getting worse as far as the pain goes. (It looks normal but is anything about how we feel ever normal? :rotfl: )

When looking at my right foot, it is the ankle bone on the inside of my foot and not on the outside part. It hurts around that ankle bone area. If it is the ankle joint, would it hurt above/around that area also??

It hurts to put weight on it especially if I have been off of it for any length of time. It seems to hurt more which doesn't make any sense to me!! (one would think it would feel better after being off of it! :rolleyes: ) While sitting the ankle/joint doesn't hurt but the area above and around it aches. Any ideas of what might be causing this????

My left ankle is starting to give that little "ping" of pain and even though it isn't bad, it worries me because this is how my right ankle started out!

Has anyone else had this happen? Please tell me if it lasted very long and what you did for it.

Thanks for letting me vent!
Janice

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I am alone on this one :( Although I am glad no one else is going thru this. I just can't understand why the pain but yet it looks fine?

Hope you are all doing well,
Janice

·
Registered
66 Posts
Janice,

Sorry to hear you are in pain. I too suffer from ankle pain. I had it in my left ankle first and then it went to my right ankle. Like you said, one would think that rest would make it feel better but it hurts when you try to walk again after resting it. I have had cortisone injections in them and I have been resting them for almost a year and they are a bit better but once you start walking again the pain comes right back and walking for any length of time and short distances is virtually impossible.

First the doctor thought it was fallen arches, X-rays came back, no joint destruction. Cortisone injections took away some of the pain but it still hurts and the ankles do not work like they use too. About 4 months after the initial flare up of my ankles, tendonitis set in, both feet and ankles in all the major tendons and some of the smaller ones. I have had small ruptures and tears in the tendons and they can’t do anything to help me. The rheumatologist said there is too much fibrossed tendonitis to even consider surgery as they can not just open up the feet in all the areas to debride (?spelling) the scar tissue and was told to take it easy as the tendons can not slide and stretch like they use too so complete ruptures are likely.

You would think that casting the feet to get me off them completely for about 4-6 months would be the answer. That is what all the orthopedic web sites say to do with tendonitis if all the conservative methods fail (rest, anti-inflammatory and steroids). However, the rheumatologist said that is the way to treat tendonitis due to injuries. Lupus is a disease and the tendonitis is disease related not do to injury or repetitive strain. Putting your feet in casts for months would cause muscle and bone wastage and could cause the arthritic ankles to freeze and within a short period of time the tendonitis would come back but now you have muscle and bone wastage along with the tendonitis. So in theory what one would think might work would only make you worse off.

I can sympathize with you because your feet are a major factor in mobility. The more you walk the worse you feel, you rest them and start walking and the pain comes right back which is very discouraging. My theory is cut the darn things off, give me prosthetic ones and make me a foot taller so my body mass index is not so high. Speaking of which, if you can’t walk, exercise is impossible so the weight starts pilling on. The more weight you have the more stress to your feet and ankles, a no win situation.

Do to my feet, I can no longer work and I now have a disability badge so I can park close to places. Very little help if you ask me because I can’t walk to shop so parking close to the store is of no value. I can get an electric scooter but I am too proud and embarrassed. I think that people will look at me and say, no wonder why she is so fat, she is lazy!

So when you complain of foot pain, I do not think it is something that you should take lightly. The feet are very important parts of the body and you need them to be independent and to do daily tasks. Don’t ignore your pain and say it will get better. I did that and now I am in a very bad situation. I have lost my independence, mobility and my job. Go to your doctors and kick and scream until they help you!! GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Stacielee for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time to share. Unfortunately it sounds like you have been thru a lot.:sad:

It helps to hear from others and when you know you are not alone out here you don't feel like you are going crazy! Although sometimes I feel like I am falling apart! I know there are so many others out there that are having a much more difficult time than I am and I feel guilty for venting. I need to try to stay positive. (and chocolate helps too! :rotfl: )

I can soooo relate to you about exercising!! How in the world can you exercise when it hurts to walk? Of course reaching for the chocolate doesn't help either! I was thinking about trying water areobics? I would think it would be good. Anyone else out there tried it and if so, how was it?

I go see my rheumy in two weeks so hopefully he will look into my ankle problem and will be able to help.

Thanks again,
Janice

·
Inky
249 Posts
Hi Janice
I have had foot pain for almost all the time I have had lupus (since 2000). It is recognised more now than it was by lupus clinics and Lupus UK even have a leaflet on lupus and the feet. I also have plantar fasciitis (dropped arches) and getting support inserts has helped on that one. Lupus tends to inflame the small bones in the hands and the feet and my hands are bad as well. As to walking. Just two minutes walking is better than none, my problem is I walk too far when I am feeling OK and then end up back in bed groaning with foot and leg pain. I am tryng harder to just do a little every day now rather than go mad and walk too much. Using an exercise bike is more gentle on the feet - but my bike is more of a clothes horse to be honest. Ankle pain can be caused by tarsal tunnel - the foot version of carpal tunnel - again a lupus inflammatory response. A walking stick can help - especially if standing is painful as it gives you a way of taking weight off painful feet. I have one of those chair sticks as well for holiday visits to gardens and stuff. Very useful. My biggest gripe is no seating in shops and supermarkets. When I get to the till with my partner I need to sit and ease the pain whilst he does checkout but there is often not a seat in sight. Oh well... guess I should speak to customer services.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi,
My feet always hurt. Ive tried water aerobics and its great. I want to start it up again. Its a good fun way to exercise and easy on the joints and muscles.
We had quite a laugh doing the exercises and you dont have to be too precise. Any moving around in the water is good exercise.
I used to give the violent kicking exercise a miss as it played havoc with my legs the next day.
Im going to get myself back in a class this week now youve reminded me about it.
Try it Im sure you will find it beneficial. Doesnt matter if you cant quite do all the exercises exactly.
Good Luck,
Sal x

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
broken tibia!

Hello everyone,

It has been awhile since I posted this question and it looks like I never got back to say what my rheumy said about my ankle. Well to make a long story short....I broke the tibia bone down beside my ankle! :eek: No wonder it hurt so bad!!

I just figured it was lupus joint pain and kept telling myself to tough it out! I walked on it for about three weeks trying not to baby it. I hate lupus because you never know if there is another problem or if it is the lupus! Anyway that is the source of my ankle pain. :blush: Kind of a pain to wear this big old boot thing during summer but at least it seems to be healing and the ortho. surgeon said because it is healing with the boot he won't put me in the walking cast! I can at least take it off to shower.

Take care,
Janice

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Oh my goodness Janice :eek:

I am so glad you found out the source of the pain but what a shock it must have been for you :hugbetter:

Yes you are right in that many times we put up with pain because you think its being caused by inflammation from the Lupus. It just shows that it does pay to get unexpected severe pains checked out.

Fingers crossed that it all heals up nicely for you.

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
14 Posts
unable to know what to blame symptoms on

I agree completely re: not knowing which symptom is lupus and when to go to my gp, Some days I feel so ill and hurt so badly but say,"ok, I just have to live with it" I always think sometime something is really going to be wrong and I won't know it. My husband gets uoset with me because he thinks I should call the dr and I always ask why. It really gets frustrating!:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts