TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi My name Is Debbie. My Mom has had SLE for 20 years now and has convinced me to get tested since it is hereditary. My baby sister tested negative. I just had the blood work done yesterday and am a litle scared, because I do have the joint pain, fatigue and a mild red rash over the cheeks extending down around the chin. I sure hope my tests are negative cause I have seen how my Mom's condition has gotten worse over the years. Going from doctor to doctor until she finally went to John Hopkins and my god all the medicine she has to take. If anyone has advice for a scared 50 year old please it will be welcomed with an open mind.

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Debbie,
Welcome to the board.:) This is a great place for up to date information on lupus and very caring members.

Wow, your mom has had lupus for 20 years. I am sorry that she had such a hard time finding a doctor who knew about lupus. Many members here can relate to that. I am glad she has found a good doctor at John Hopkins.

I know how hard it is to wait on the tests to come back. Please try to take deep breath and relax. I know that is easier said than done. I hope to that you don't have lupus. If you do you can get started on the right meds to feel better.

I found out I had lupus when I was 48, I am now 51. It does take awhile to get on the right mix of meds. As you already know you need to find a rhumey that knows lupus.

Please keep us posted and if you have any questions go ahead and post, or you can do a search, on the board.

Take care. I know how it feels for you right now.
:flowery:
Lyn

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello Debbie,
Sometimes Lupus Mums have Daughters whose blood shows positive but with no real problems, so I don't think your Docs will rush to a diagnosis. If your symptoms are only mild you may well find it fairly easy to manage. Could I suggest Sun protection though as it makes a big difference.
x Lola

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Debbie just wanted to say hello;)

I'm fairly new here and without a diagnosis but this site is amazing along with all the fab people who give great advice and info.

Hope you're keeping well;)

Mrs M x

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I hop that I don't have lupus that it is only arthritis or something simple. I feel for everyone who has SLE as I know what my Mom goes thru everyday. She has her good days and bad days. We used to joke that we would get her a scooter to get around the grocery stores. My sister told me that she now needs one occasionaly. She is 700 miles away from me so all we can do for each other is talk on the phone. I will keep you posted when I get my test results. Once again Thank you for the warm welcome. Go Cubs Go.

Debbie

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Debbie, always good to chat with a CUBS fan. i to have had lupus for 23 yrs now and i woorry about my daughter. she is the age when i got it. but so far she does not. even though she has some of the systoms too. but no matter how thingss go. atleast you have some knowleage of this lupus. please keep use posted and tell you mone to try out the site too. take care. Oh are you from Illinois. email me anytime later Sue

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi Debbie and welcome!

Hope you find this site a good help and support to you!

Cassie :)

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Hi Debbie,

:welcome: to the boards,

I can understand your fear, but at least you are going into this with your eyes open... And that is good and if this is lupus you are catching it at the beginning not after you have suffered for years on end...
You also know what to look for after watching your mom suffer with lupus.. There are good meds out there that are available to us...
I wish you the best of luck and hope the results come back in your favor... Take good care of yourself...

Love Penny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts