TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone hope you all keeping as well as you can!

My rheumy appointment finally arrived yesterday(yippee!!!!) I was told that blood tests were ok but upon seeing how much pain I am in and after rheumy examined me he decided that I needed a steroid injection straight into the muscle in my bottom because of the ACUTE pain and swelling. This was my first steriod injection which was a little scary. :(

I've been getting worse for the last 3 weeks since I was in the garden and my eye became swollen and sore. To add to everything else I was taken to A&E on Monday evening. I was talking to my husband and my right hand completely froze and tightened up. I straight away got really scared by this as I didn't know what was happening!! :(I had no feeling or movement and my hand also turned extremely blue. The hospital were fantastic and I explained that I was under investigation for Lupus. Because my blood pressure, pulse and tepmerature were high they took me straight through and put me on an ECG ( which again was a first and scary). They had a consultant to me who mentioned 'collagen disease' and then a vascular surgeon looked at me. He was great and too said it could be down to lupus but needed to check me over as the symptoms were same as a blood clot.

My rheumy was interested to hear all this and after my examination said he would like me to have a 'bone density scan'? not right sure what this is so if you got any clues I'd be VERY GRATEFUL. :)

Also rheumy wants me back into him next Friday so we'll see if there are any more firsts for me?

Thanks for reading and hope you've not dropped to sleep yet AH! AH! ( I must try to keep things shorter ):lol:

Luv Mrs M

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there :)

No no, don't worry, we haven't fallen asleep.

Some of these tests can seem quite daunting to begin with when we're not really used to them but really, there are very few tests that are actually unpleasant and it is great that you are being taken seriously by the rheumy and that even in emergency you were also taken seriously.

Over here in Belgium the docs do do tests quite readily so I don't stress at all when they are mentioned. They are, for the most part, just being thorough and sometimes eliminating possible problems from their list.

A bone density scan is often done for people on prednisolone as that can affect your bone density and lead to osteoporosis but it is also done in general when one gets a little older. I don't know if you fall into either category as I can't remember all the details of your "journey".

Hope that helps a little, please don't worry, just try to take it all one day at a time.

Katharine

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Mrs.M, Hi there, nice to have you her with us. I can't help with the rest of your"surprises", but I wish you the best, and do let us know.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi you two thanks for replying!

Katherine just to let you know I don't fall into either category? I'm currently not on any medication other than the steroid injection given to me the other day and although I feel 90 I'm actually 29 years of age! So I guess maybe the rheumy is just been thorough which is good.

Thanks to both for putting me at ease about my bone density scan. I guess it's all good!!!!!

I shall let you know what happens. Once again a BIG THANKYOU;)

Mrs M

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Mrs. M, The actual bone density test is totally painless and not even uncomfortable. It is quite a handy thing to have done especially if you may end up on steroids.

Sorry for the frights you have been having with your health.
x Lola

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Lola

thankyou for your comments I do feel much better about things now! Hope you are well.:)

Mrs M

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Hi there,

I hope you are feeling better and that your appointment goes well on Friday.... I wish you the best of luck and hope you are feeling better..

Love Penny

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Penny

thankyou for your kind words and i will be sure to let you all know how it goes. Steroid injection seems to have taken the edge off things so am feeling a little more positive. :)

hope you are well also Penny

Love Mrs M:wink2:

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Mrs. M,

I am new here too so I am shouting out a welcome to you.

The people here are great, IMHO.

The Dexa Scan (bone density) is a quick, painless process that takes about 15-30 minutes and your results are instant, as long as a doctor is there to let you know what it says.

I have had 2 done in the last month because I am in menopause and I have had IV Steriods for Multiple Sclerosis.

Steriods can break your bones down and cause problems so it is good to get a base line Dexa scan done so that later you can compare it to other scans.

It really is a piece of cake test.;););)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi KarolH

Thankyou for your warm welcome and a big hello to yourself:)

Hope you are well. I think after that piece of cake test I may well treat myself to a little ( or big) piece of cake:lol:

Take care Mrs M

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Sorry I am late on this. Your doctor was smart to do the bone density test. Doing it prior to taking medication will give him a good benchmark of what you were previously. I didn't have one done so when I did the first one they weren't sure if the numbers they were seeing were bone loss or not.

Enjoy your cake,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Lazylegs

Thanks for your input and I will DEFINETLY enjoy my cake you never know I may even share!!!!:lol::lol:

Mrs M

1 - 12 of 12 Posts