The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
a little worried a little down a little scared........
i have been having back back pain, for a while...elbows and hands now playing up again... pain back in my head (little fireworks ) not as bad as they were,but still painfull....
i have heard that if you get lower back pain and your bowel movements become hard to control then you should see someone straight away... well mine did, not that i couldn't control them, just that they had changed a lot for me...but the wierd thing is when i go the pain in my back takes my breath away...and it makes my head pound so bad... have been to A & E and they said i was constipated.... doh.....(busy time of day and think all the nurses and doc's on duty were about 12, when i mentioned lupus they just looked blank ) gave me stuff to make me go to the loo and sent me home...now i have an appointment on friday back with my remo, so will tell him about it. he's going to give me the rest of my long list of results and i have now been told i need a cat scan...
should i be worried, i know im going on friday, but this has had me laid up for a while now, begining to think im going mad again, not getting any support from home on it, feel like my body is giving up.. or i am

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
((((((((Melanie)))))))))) :hug:

When we have a bad run of things and lots of pain and little support is it any wonder we feel like giving up. I've been there many times, but somehow someway we fight our way through it. It helps to come here and talk about it, who else can understand this better than another Lupie?

I'm glad you are seeing your Rheumy soon, dont walk out that door until you have everything addressed........... your worsening pain and do explain the bowel problems and headaches just as you have explained it here. Constipation can cause headaches but it's not a sudden painful feeling in your head when you go! I have no idea what may be going on but you can bet he might have some insight into it.

At least he won't be 12 yrs old and just shake his head and walk away. If he does then I have a velvet glove inside which I hide an iron fist, so I will have it at the ready :hehe: :wink2:

Hang in there and I wish you good luck with your appointment, let us know how you go?

love
Lily

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Melanie,

I'm sorry to hear things aren't looking up for you.

I'm afraid I don't have any advice concerning that constipation problem. I did get that to a certain extent before starting and early on in treatment but didn't have as many problems as you.

My doctor told me to take "motillium" (domperidone) to help empty the stomach faster as my problem was linked to my stomach not emptying fast enough (so it was also causing very severe heartburn). That and slowly seeing which foods suited best diet wise has meant that both the constipation and heartburn problems have disappeared.
The main dietary change I had to make was avoiding any bread, cakes or biscuits. All those things seem to slow that process and give me heartburn almsot immediately. It's a bit annoyng having to find alternative ways to eat but at the end of the day meant that I could vut out all the other "nasty" stomach meds that I had to take originally. I now only take one motillium before going to bed.

Of course, that is only my experience and I'm sure there are as many examples of what's causing it as there are people. Basically, it's just to say, don't give up hope. I was suffering terribly from the heartburn and couldn't sleep at all for weeks on end but I did get through it and find a solution.

The best thing is to make sure that you tell the rheumy everything that is going on and, as Lily said, don't walk out the door until you have.

I'm sorry that the situation at home hasn't changed much. It sounds like you're going to have to find a way of dealing with that. You are obviously stressing yourself a lot about it and that is the last thing you need. You would be amazed how luch better you will feel if you can stop the stress to a great extent. It really is very important.

hugs to you :hug:
Katharine

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
(((((melanie)))))

I agree with lily,it;s no wonder you feel despondant you have had a lot to cope with recently :sad:

I hope you get some answers from your rhemy,good luck!

melanie you have mentioned a few times about not feeling supported.have you tried opening up to your hubby,explaining how you feel?some men are oblivious & need you to state the obvious :rolleyes:
they can't win though because if they are too supportive that can be annoying too :lol: no wonder they end up confused :)

I hope you feel better soon melaine
please let us know how you get on
big hugs to you :there: karen x

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you ladies:) i think i may not of explained myself very well, im not constipated with my back pain, my movements are a lot loser then i am used to... (what a conversation:lol: ) but as you say
i can tell the consultant on friday and get better advice then from a & e ....
support from hubby... yep i know i say that alot, but im afraid i don't get any,well not the kind i need... i have spoken,cryed,screamed and now given up...wrote a letter the other week ,asked him to read it and it's still sitting where i left it:( ... he is a very self absorbed man..but i have accepted that that is the way he going to be, and i have to get my support else where...
mainly here !! :) i am trying really hard to be postive about everything, whilst dealing with all the normal day to day stuff, kids husband ect as loads of people say on here, ( i always seem to be moaning ) but thank you for your words they always make me feel stronger. so i wait for friday and see what happens....:grhug: to you all, and hope you are all smiling
take care

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Melanie, If you strain, by pushing hard when you go to the bathroom, that will cause the back pain and the headache feeling. I know cuz that is what I do is push way too hard, and I know that I am not ever supposed to do that, but I stay constipated all the time. (yes I do have a med for it) when I strain, I get a backache sooo bad and shooting pains in the head. The head part goes away, the back stays, its from straining.
Do let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi melanie,

Yes I did go back and read your post and I had misunderstood it. I now understand what you mean.

What that poster was referring to is a sudden loss of control over bowel or bladder movements with back pain being an emergency. As your's is not actually loss of control but more an urgency then it can wait until your appt. Good luck and I hope you get some answers to that and your other queries.

There is another scenario whereby you can have no pain and no warning and lose control, that is often due to brain or nerve pathway problems. I've had it when my Central Nervous System Vasculitis was playing up and lot's of people with MS get it. Just putting this in for others who might read this post.

Great subject!! but there's not much we dont talk about here :lol: usually through necessity!

Dont ever apologise for venting here, we all do it :hug:

love
Lily

·
Administrator
10,199 Posts
Hi Melanie Ann,

Definitely let your doctor know.

To follow up with Lily's last post, with some diseases you lose total control or can't go at all. My neuro explained how many different nerve and muscle groups are involved to pass your bowels. If any segment of that process is disrupted you will be unsuccessful.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hiya, hope you are well.. well i had my appointment on friday.. had to see a different consultant..not to sure what to make of him..but i think its good news..i told him all about my problems. had to go all through it again !! he had the results of lastest blood test, which he seem to want to tell me what they were, but in the end he told me that my lupus was inactive at the moment ( so thats good ? ) and all the problems are due to my fibromalgia being in a flare (his words) he told me that all he could do is tell me to contuie on the meds i have gapetentin (which is the same lyrica ) dilifinic, and amtripiline.. and of course the cocodamol..he told me i can't have anything else but he has upt the doses...i have to go back in three months and if i still have the same pains he is going to send me for scans on my back, incase i have spinal damage ( that scared me and confused me a little )... so all in all he said just put up with the pain,as he can't do anymore...hubby came with me and has a better understanding after it was explained to him, why i am the way i am... ( thank god for that :) ) ... so i am pleased and a little can't really explain, maybe i thought he was going to give me a magic pill...:lol:
on a down note though i have spent most of the weekend unable to move about,because of the pain... so i feel like i have been told it a case of put up and shut up :worried:
so thats it....huh....

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Melanie,

I don't have Fibro but those here who do will tell you just how painful it is when it is playing up :eek: ((((((((((Melanie)))))))))) I am hoping with the increase in med dosages that you will get some relief. It will take a little while 2-4 weeks to see full improvement esp if he increased the Ami and the Lyrica, that seems to be the time frame for them. So I have everything crossed :luck: it's going to help.

I'm so glad to hear your hubby went with you :) It does give them a better understanding to hear it straight from the doc and hopefully they realise that what you are dealing with is certainly no walk in the park! It's kind of a reality check for you other half.

You mentioned in an earlier post about a CT scan was that for another problem or specifically related to this one?

love
Lily

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi lilly,

glad hubby came, im just hoping he takes it on board, time will tell:) .

ct scan, they mentioned lots of scans, when i was having all the pain in my head they mentioned ct scan... lyrica seemed to have stopped them, but as you would expect, after telling the doc on friday i seem to have much trouble with that anymore, along with pain all weekend my head hurt.... sods law:lol: :lol: .......

·
Registered
40 Posts
Back pain=possible fibro flare. Huh. Again, I'm learning something new every day! I am having constipation issues with mine though.

Now why can't my GP know that stuff? I honestly think that he doesn't believe in fibro or the UCTD. He is NOT the one that dx'd me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts