Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had results today!

anti ds-dna

0-20 negative
20-75 weak positive
+ 75 positve

Obviosly I'm positive, but does anyone know more about the range's?

Thanks!

Love Lesley:)

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Lesley

Im not sure exactly what you want to know? The lab ranges are only relevant to the particular lab that checked your blood. They can vary from lab to lab because different measurements are used to read the results. For example my lab's reference range for anti dsDNA is:

Less than 10 = negative
10-15 = equivocal
16-30 = weak positive
> 30 = positive

So your levels couldnt be compared to someone else's unless you knew that their lab reference ranges were the same.

What was your actual number? You dont say in your post - you just gave the ranges.

I guess the higher the number the more likely it is to cause concern. Having said that there is still no agreement on whether andi dsDNA levels are a reliable indicator of disease activity. My Rheumy, for example, isnt convinced, although two and a half years ago when my levels were in and around 200 she put me on low dose pred and since then they have slowly been coming down and have been in the weak positive range for several months now.

Cheers
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aarh! I think I understand now!

These are probably just the lab levels that I could fall into!

Unfortunaltely someone at labs has not passed on the relevent level to GP so I don't know which category i'm in this time! Will have to wait until 12th May when I see my Immunologist!

My brain does not think straight most of the time and I just could not figure this out 'I feel a bit stupid now'!
:hehe:
Thanks Joan!

Love Lesley

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Oh dont be worrying Lesley and no need to feel stupid. :)

These things are really difficult to understand. When I first saw a copy of my blood results I thought they were written in a different language ;) Eventually you can get to understand some of them but I would never presume to understand half of them!

Are you sure it doesnt say your numbers on it though? Mine are written like this

Test ..........................Result........... Flag ..........Reference Range..... Units

ANTI dsDNA ANTIBODIES 21. ................H ..............0-10 .....................1U/ml

Cheers
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joan I'm not sure of anything as i did not look at letter!

When I phoned and spoke to receptionist the only thing she added was iuml 4 (probably 1u/ml 4). If the 4 is the no. of anti ds-dna then thats good and I would be in the negative category. That's much better than being told last time it was raised!

As I'm being treated with Plaq., pred, iron etc its not too crucial - just something I think I should keep an eye on for my own interest!

As I said I will see Immunologist on the 12th - he has a copy of this test so I will ask then!

Thanks again!

Lesley

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi Lesley,
These different ranges are confusing aren't they.
Mine are same as Joan's.
At worst my Ds Dna antibodies were >200 and again have steadied since starting treatment.
Now they seem to have settled at 30-40 which I believe is positive but acceptable for me.
good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts