TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would open up this topic to see what other peoples experinces are with food and symptoms.

Foods that can be eaten alongside medications that have benefits is what Im thinking about as maintaining ones health further.

Its also in my mind that some herbs for example may be in conflict with any current medications so thats yet another consideration.

My first Google bought up the following thread which as a start was I thought interesting.

http://nutrition.about.com/od/dietsformedicaldisorders/a/antiinflamfood_2.htm

Im drinking a herbal tea which contains liquorice and drinking less normal tea in general.
The liquorice tea (believe it or not all those cynics:eek:) is wonderful not only in taste but coincidently I have noticed some differences lately in my health.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi nicky

yes Ive tried licorice tea yummy.:hehe: Was a bit of a health freak;) till I fell ill 3yrs ago.:(:worried::mad: Must get back on track. :)well at the moment Im eating almonds as they are supposed to help stop acid reflux. :wink2:Also Ive found something on warfarine and diet:) which is interesting will post it when I find it.lol the list of 10 foods not 2 eat I was eating 9 of them lol :eek::eek:NOT THE CRANBERRY JUICE.:rotfl: oh well every one is different just change the dose of warfarine to suit.:p

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Dixy
Here is a thread on diet and anticoagulation meds
http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37995

There is no need not to eat anything. The important thing is not to suddenly change normal eating habits either adding unusual quantities of Vitamin K containing foods or to stop taking altogether as either change will affect the efficiency of the blood thinner and therefore the INR.

And a large number of supplements can affect the warfarin or thickness of the blood and might thus be contraindicated without medical supervision.

:)

Clare

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Nicky

Just wondering if you checked liquorice out ? There are many reliable references to it being unsuitable for people with lupus. It is a potentially very powerful medicinal plant about which a great deal is known. There are also other more specific contraindications and it can of course affect the workings of other meds.
My position is that anything with a therapeutic effect is likely to have side effects too, whether it comes from a factory or some obscure Himalayan boon dock or Amazonian rain forest or your own back garden. Natural does not mean harmless. I also wouldn't dream of taking medicinal plants or supplements without the advice of a properly qualified doctor who knows about lupus, knows about side effects and knows about herb/herb/pharmaceutical interactions and all the possible contraindications. I am not so much cynical or even sceptical as fearful and mistrusting , certainly of what people who are selling products have to say about them.

St John's Wort is a good example of interaction and changing the effects of other everyday medicines such as birth control pills

The other thing is that the herbals have not been thoroughly studied trialled and investigated and there is very little if any quality control. Nor can we know how much of the active ingredient is in them. Many preparations don't even contain the proper part of the plant and maybe none of the plant at all, which might be in very short supply having been overharvested to meet demand

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello Nicky,
I am no expert at this. I know liquorice tea was recommended years ago to my Grandfather for Asthma. I am pretty interested in healthy eating in general but tend to rely on good quality food rather than supplements.

I am glad you have noticed an improvement but I personally am too fainthearted to vary things very much, having finally found some sort of balance.
x Lola

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Nicky,

by a process of elimination I cut out tea and coffee as they seemed to make me very nauseous when I took my 27 tablets a day :eek:

I now drink ginger and lemon tea which helps my tum but is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties too.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I have read about pineapple containing an "ingredient" which is especially good as an anti-inflammatory too. At the moment I'm thinking it has to do with bromelain (sp?) but my memory could be wrong. I think they sell just the extract in pill form as well but I just try to get it in the natural form a few times a week. :)

I am leery of taking pills/supplements in general, whether man made or found in nature, prescribed or over the counter. My preference is to take the smallest amount necessary to treat and control my symptoms because you never truly know the side effects *for you* that are undesirable short or long term.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes earthling

I was informed that tumeric and ginger are anti-inflammatory.

I try and add ginger to foods. For example if I cook green beans, then I will saute a bit of garlic and ginger and add that.
Simple and good.

Claire , the liquorice I did google an could'nt find and contraindication with lupus or meds?.

Im very cautious and suspicious of herbs and medical claims.

Drinking liquorice teas probably is benificial as I drink less ordinary tea:).

Nicky:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts