The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this board and a little confused and scared. For about 6 months I have been experiencing joint pain in my hands. There is NO swelling or redness. I had a positive ANA (positive but not super high). I also had a positive anti-sm. These tests were done by a Rhum. However, he did NOT diagnose me with Lupus because I do not have enough "classic" symptoms. I was told to come back in 3 months to redo all of the tests.

So, what do you all think? First, I am wondering if it is possible to have these two positive blood tests and not have lupus. From what I have read it is not. At the same time the doc seemed very good and wouldn't he have just diagnosed me with it? Second, I am at the point where I am just assuming I do have lupus. I am TERRIFIED if that is the case. Im only 23. Am i doomed?

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello MrsAsh and welcome,

I'm not very good on lupus blood tests. Possibly because my bloods are not particularly typical :)

What I do know is that a good rheumatologist will not give a lupus diagnosis lightly. One of the reasons is that with a lupus diagnosis it would be more difficult to obtain things like health insurance.

It sounds as if your doc has been thorough and hasn't at all dismissed you. That is a very good start. I would do just as he/she says and go back in three months time. A case of wait and see.

If you do have lupus, you are not at all "doomed". Please remember that these boards are not representative of the whole lupus community. Many people who write here are newly diagnosed, not yet diagnosed or are more severely affected. Many people with lupus hae found adequate treatment and do't come here often. They are busy leading their lives and just don't have the time.

Treatment has improved significantly over the years and many people will resume their lives pretty much a they did before albeit with a few adaptations.

feel free to ask any questions you may have, we're here to help :)
Katharine

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi
Welcome to the Forum. You will find a lot of help and advice on here.
I have SLE along with other things. I was diagnosed 2 years ago. my ANA was negative, but my anti ds DNA was positive along with a positive punch biopsy.
I still have difficulty after all this time getting my head round this and still sometimes think the doctors have got it wrong, but unfortunately they haven't.
I am sure another member will be along soon to help you more than I can with your blood results.
This forum is my life line and I wouldn't be without it. I get more help from here than anywhere else. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.
Take care
Hope to speak to you again soon
Love
Meryl

·
Registered
580 Posts
hello MrsAsh, i have to agree with everything Katharine has said, and thats

because im living proof of that. ive had lupus for the past 20 years with no major problems just a little depression on and of and chest pain due to chostochondritis, with proper medication most people live a normal lifes span.

:) :) :) take care

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi there, and welcome. There are people on this board that have never had a positive ana and are diagnosed with lupus. Lupus is dx with much more than your bloods. It also includes your symptoms, history, the Rheumy's observation of you, he will be observing you in many ways at each appt. Start keeping a diary or journal of sorts, that will help you remember things.You would be surprised at the number of people that are diagnosed with lupus on this site alons, and it has taken over ten yrs for the dx's. Some
are sooner,some are longer. But don't try to self diagnose , write everything down, and let the dr,and you talk it out, then he can come to a conclusion, that is his speciality.
Best wishes for you, I hope to see you here often.:wink2:

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
hi ash

hi ash there are a lot of us on the site that have been told we have lupus by one doctor then went back and been told that they are not sure i was at mine last week it was a diffirent doctor and he was not sure so i am back in limbo i will needtowait and see what the blood test show and the xrays so dont look on the black side of things as there are other things that it could be what other thing are wrong with you so best wishes to you just now dont worry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts