The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any advice !!!????
To recap , i have symptoms of Lupus for about 4 mnths now and had a blood test show inflamation ( bloods inflammed ) i have just recieved results for another blood test , my ANA is abnormal !!!!???? what does this mean !!!??? my rheumy app is on thursday.
Does this mean it will be easier to be diagnosed !!!!????? if i have Lupus the quicker i am diagnosed the better so i can recieve medication ! any views greatly appreciated x

·
Registered
830 Posts
With what you've just said it looks like you'll get a proper diagnosis on thursday of what you do have being as your ANA is showing abnormal, this means as there's an autoimmune Disease/Autoimmune diseases showing, as when they tested me both my ANA & ENA came in high and they got everything i had in my signature through them being high except for the anaemia which took 6mths to show, as Lupus makes your bloods fluctuate and show false readings sometimes.

I wish you all the best so your minds settled one way or another. x

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Hi Sergeant--

Usually, when the ANA is positive, you are referred to a rheumy and he/she will run even more specific tests to determine what is going on (i.e., antidsDNA). For almost all lupus sufferers, the ANA is positive. However, a positive ANA can result from many things, so additional testing is required. I am adding a link from our main site about the tests that are often run in diagnosing lupus:
http://www.thelupussite.com/tests.html
http://www.thelupussite.com/ana.html

My guess is that the sooner lupus is diagnosed, the less damage it can do (because you are started on meds sooner rather than later). But, feel free to ask your new rheumy about this for a proper explanation.

I hope this helps...

Monica

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys but have spoken to the gp on the phone and now even more confused !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He said my athritus is a bit high and my vitamin b12 is low but didnt mention ANA! i dont understand much about the terminology but does this mean ANA ??????? really confused now ! the receptionist just said my antibody test was abnormal ! please explain if anyone out there knows !???? i know its probably me being ignorant but dont understand ! hope i get a diagnosis thursday , even if it is Lupus i just wanna know !!!!!!!!!! thanks for your support x

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hi,

What you can do is go to your gp and get a printed copy of your labs. Bring this with you to your appointment on Thurs.
I think this is a good practice because even if labs and doctor notes are sent to your different doctors there is always the possibility of them getting lost.
Keep a copy for yourself as well.
Keep us posted and try not to worry.

dmarie

·
Registered
830 Posts
sargeant;627848 said:
thanks guys but have spoken to the gp on the phone and now even more confused !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He said my athritus is a bit high and my vitamin b12 is low but didnt mention ANA! i dont understand much about the terminology but does this mean ANA ??????? really confused now ! the receptionist just said my antibody test was abnormal ! please explain if anyone out there knows !???? i know its probably me being ignorant but dont understand ! hope i get a diagnosis thursday , even if it is Lupus i just wanna know !!!!!!!!!! thanks for your support x
You do need to get your results..as one things being said then total opposite and if your B12 is low for a start off they've got to give you something to rise that.

Terri

·
4,438 Posts
Hiya.. a positive ANA is not a definite yes to lupus.Although Most people with lupus have a positive ANA about 98%..( there is a small 2% that don't show positive.) A good number of people with positive ANA do not have lupus..if that makes sense, a positive ANA can be caused by other things as Monica said. Please get your labs and info ready for your appointment and think about what you need to get out of your appointment. Don't be disappointed if it takes some time to rule things in and out...diagnosis on first appointments are rare. If it is an auto immune problem they are notoriously tricky to label and you don't want that label until all avenues have been explored..though not too lengthily either as you need to be treated with the right diagnosis and the right meds..and a plan of care. Jot down your questions as they can fly out of your mind at the crucial moment. Taking somebody with you can be helpful too as I often hear it differently to my husband (quelle surprise!). Take care, try not to stress and go to your appointment and glean as much information and knowledge as you can..wish you well.....Claire

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Sergeant--

Usually, when the ANA is positive, you are referred to a rheumy and he/she will run even more specific tests to determine what is going on (i.e., antidsDNA). For almost all lupus sufferers, the ANA is positive. However, a positive ANA can result from many things, so additional testing is required. I am adding a link from our main site about the tests that are often run in diagnosing lupus:
http://www.thelupussite.com/tests.html
http://www.thelupussite.com/ana.html

My guess is that the sooner lupus is diagnosed, the less damage it can do (because you are started on meds sooner rather than later). But, feel free to ask your new rheumy about this for a proper explanation.

I hope this helps...

Monica
Every time I click on these links they say errors cannot open. Where else can I go to access the info?

·
Administrator
10,200 Posts
Many of the reputable colleges offer good sites with reliable information. Some of the major labs in your area may also have detailed explanations of the results. The best option though is speaking with the doctor because the information will actually pertain to your sister rather than generalities.

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts