TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my mum has SLE and has had for the past 18 years she is now stable and hasn't had an attack for around 2 years. She has just been told that she needs to have surgery on her sinus' and has to have a general anaesthetic for this i was sure that this was a big risk to SLE sufferers but my mum has been told otherwise does anyone know any more about this?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
To my knowledge general anesthesia is no riskier for an SLE patient than the general population. It has it's risks, but they are minimal (to miniscule!) with today's excellent anesthetics.

SLE patients can have longer recoveries from surgery itself, or higher risk of infection or blood clots. This would be possible for those on immunusuppressant medications or high dose prednisone with respect to infection, and the blood clots may be relevant for those with anti-phospholipid antibodies and prior clotting problems. She will want to discuss these issues with her surgeon or have her rheumy consult with the surgeon.

All that said, most lupus patients do just fine with surgeries and recovery from them. Certainly has been the case with me.

Best wishes to your mom for a successful surgery and a quick and uncomplicated recovery!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
My Daughter, Immi, had a General Anaesthetic recently, she was absolutely fine and recovered perfectly. Anaesthetics really are much improved these last few years. I am sure you are worried about Mum.
Please let us know how it goes.
x Lola

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

Dear Keria

I have SlE and since i was diagnosed with it i have had the sinus surgery Hysterectomy, both knees and had the anesthetic for all of them.I had absolutley no trouble with mine but that again is me but have not ever heard of anyone having truoble with it.I think it is very nice you are concerned for sure but i am sure she will be okay and she has good doctors also to take good care of her to.:)

Tammy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks to every1 who replied to my post suppose its just me worrying but she has a habit of not telling me things because of this. I have a new worry now she has shingles joy!!lol. Thanks again :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts