The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a MRI which was said to be normal. It wasnt looked at by a neuro doc though.

When I got out of the scanner my eye sight was realy distorted very blurred and more than double it was like my eyes had been shook. realy weard. I feel so dizzy it was difficult to stand. Took about an hour for my eyes to recover and for my dizziness to wear off slighly. I had bad pins and needles over my head and face and in arms and legs for a good 24hrs.

Odd thing is that I was being scanned because I have double vision and altered sensation down my left side. It aggrivated my symptoms. Surely if there isnt anything going on this wouldnt have happened. I didnt expect any side effects and was supprized when this happened.

My neuro doc is in another health trust to where I was scanned so he will not be able to see scan would be good if he could though. Realy dont want to be scanned again. Terrible waste of money as well.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Julia,

Did they use dye through a IV line to do your MRI??? If so then you may have some residual effects from the dye, called Gadilidium (spelling) that can cause crazy side effects especially if you have kidney disease.

I have had numerous MRI scans done and never had issues afterwards.

I wish you luck and hope you get feeling better soon.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi Julia.
I had no effects after an MRI but did feel peculiar after being injected for a thyroid scan.........all hot and flushed.
Also some NHS trusts are networked so that results can be on computers at differrent hospitals. Otherwise the radiographers may download the image onto a CD for your neuro to see.
This happens in my neonatal unit when babies are transferred.
Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks hopefully that can be done. May try and contact nero and see if he/she can arrange that.

I didnt have and dyes or injections it was just to see if I had a Brain and if anything was wrong. They found a brain amazing realy its not doing its job well:lol:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
:lol::lol::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I hope your feeling better now.

I have had many M.R.I's, and never experienced what you describe. It must have been very disturbing, to have such an experience. :(

Love,
Sandy

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Hi Julia,

My first MRI was on my knee. The entire leg tingled for a couple of days afterwards. The second was on my head and I had the same reaction but it didn't last as long. Since then I haven't had any type of reaction.

You are the only other person I have heard of with a reaction other than a panic attack or allergy to the dye.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Strange thing I wasnt the least bit stressed for MRI was listening to David Bowie and that always help:) So I know it wasnt a panic attack too knackered to expend that amount of energy anyway.

Was rather scary pins and needles where very irritating but vision was dreadfull . I was on my own at the time and had to get bus home it was a nightmare. Went straight to bed and got up 14hrs later still tired . If I have anymore tests Im swollowing my pride and taking someone with me.:)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi Julia,

I have had several MRIs, some with and some without contrast, and had weird symptoms during and after all of them. The symptoms were so bizzare that I will have difficulty describing them but they included: muscles throughout my body twitching and shaking involuntarily (miniscule but constant movement), muscles steadily contracting, pain constantly increasing to the point it was no longer bearable by the time the MRIs were done and I needed assistance to sit up, dizzy and confused upon sitting up, blurry vision, unable to walk without assistant for 2 or 3 minutes and then everything starts to subside. When I try to discuss these symptoms with anyone, they blow me off, so I now try to avoid MRIs.

I have read that if the MRI settings are wrong (i.e. too strong ?) or something like that, one can experience symptoms.

Barb

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Ive had a few scanes now, but only thing i ever feel is dizzyness when geting up, but i put that down to lieing down all that time, even though i sit first before getting up to stand.

other than that no no ill effects from any of the different scans ive had

hope all is ok for you now? Lin xxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
416 Posts
Information about the bioeffects of MRIs can be found at the following web address: http://www.mrisafety.com/search.asp?action=search&search_string=bioeffects&x=11&y=9 accessed July 1, 2009

Bioeffects of Gradient Magnetic Fields
"During MR procedures, gradient or time-varying magnetic fields may stimulate nerves or muscles in patients by inducing electrical fields."
http://www.mrisafety.com/safety_article.asp?subject=178 accessed July 1, 2009

Bioeffects of Radiofrequency Fields
"...transformed into heat within the patient’s tissue as a result of resistive losses. ... Various underlying health conditions may affect an individual’s ability to tolerate a thermal challenge ..."
http://www.mrisafety.com/safety_article.asp?subject=179 accessed July 1, 2009

Bioeffects of Static Magnetic Fields
http://www.mrisafety.com/safety_article.asp?subject=229 accessed July 1, 2009

·
Registered
149 Posts
The most logical thing I can think of to explain this is that the position you were in while in the scanner meant that one or more nerves was pinching a bit in your neck or spine. I know I had funny nerve sensations in my hands while I was in a MRI scanner and put it down to my back position not being right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.