The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sleeping very well as I wake up absolutely burning up and wet through. Our mattress is wool topped and where I lie the bed is so hot underneath me. It's my skin, it feels like it's literally on fire I go bright red on my chest and face, my internal body temperature is always normal though, it's so weird. I'm starting to go a bit mad through lack of sleep - does anyone have any tips to help me keep cool and get some sleep?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You could try a fan on you; that helps me. They do make sheets that don't hold as much heat, with the wool underneath you than would make it hard to keep cool. Perhaps get a cotton mattress cover and see if that helps?

·
Registered
11 Posts
i use a fan for noreen but what i do is put ice in front of the fan
or frozen bottles of water it seems to help her
doug

·
Registered
279 Posts
think y can get cool pillows called chilo pillow i think.

Put cream over your body makes it cooler. a fan is good.

Put your nighty or PJ in the freezer. To cool you down.

Spray cooled water over yourself.

Buy an air conditioning unit

Keep your curtains drawn to keep room cooler or buy shutters.

Take care

dixy

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Just curious, but is there any chance you are allergic to wool? The rash you are describing sounds a lot like my reaction to wool. I can only wear cottons or cotton blends as I am allergic to wool, and synthetics don't let my skin breathe and I break out in rashes.

I would definitely recommend you try the cotton mattress pad and maybe put some older cotton sheets over the wool mattress and see if that helps. Definitely to get you away from that surface.
Good luck
Sally

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey Alimonkey

I tend to keep the curtains drawn (I have black out curtains) during the first half of the day whilst the sun is on that part of the house then in the afternoon when I get home I open all the windows I can and put the fan on to cool the room down as much as possible. I leave it on all night and it is close to the window so that it brings in the cooler air overnight.

The only problem then is my joints hurt because of the cold draft lol! But that is easier to deal with that overheating:rotfl:!

Hope you find some relief

Claire xx

·
Registered
67 Posts
looks like I'm not the only one - I've been waking up absolutely dripping wet - very strange - is this one of those things with lupus - I seem to be worse when it is beginning to flare - its almost like a warning to slow up but until now I thought it was a coincidence.

I'm sorry I've got no tips for you as I am the same - although what I've found is that if I stay in my wet things I wake up wet and freezing - so its best to get up and change.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi ali, you have been given some good suggestions...........it's obvious that you have a way to go before the Plaq kicks in properly :hug:

Hi jb, yes this is extremely common when Lupus is stirring up. It's one of my first signs that I am either flaring or about to. Often accompanied my mouth ulcers and rash soon following if not already there.

love
Lily

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Treat myself to some bits at Boots last night - got a lavender body mist and one of those cooling forhead sticks. The lavender mist is so cooling and soothing, I sprayed myself a few times just before I went to sleep. I've got a chillow on it's way to me too :)

Ugh you're not wrong about the mouth ulcers, I have at least three on the left side of my mouth. I've had them a couple of weeks now, got some medicated mouth wash last week from the chemist and they're starting clear up now.

I've been on the plaquenil for about a month now I think so I know it'll take a bit longer for it to work. Joint pain is significantly better with the diclofenac, it's reduced to a dull ache most of the time. If only I could deal with the fatigue and night sweats!

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
I am not sure where you live but I am in the united states and we can get something called a mattress cover and sometimes they come in a thin pastic. I have one the the summer months and a pillow top one for winter. I am never comfortable. In the summer it is too hot and in the winter I freeze. Back to summer. I also have to sleep with a fan blowing right on top of me for the reason you gave (I feel like I slept walked to the shower only did not come out fresh and feeling well, just the opposite in fact). I also try to take a cool shower before bed.

You are right my temp is normal also. There is sweat coming from all parts of my body even parts I did not know could sweat lol. I know this is personal but it might help you so I will risk it on here. I often have to sleep in the buff as any clothes just make me feel hotter. This is even with air on and my daughter with 2 spreads on her bed to stay warm lol.

I do hope that some of these help you with your problem of night sweating and get you to a cooler place. Let us know how it goes please.

·
Registered
120 Posts
so it is lupus related?

Phew! I've been having night sweats for awhile and I couldn't tell if it was PMS or pre-pre-pre-menopause. :) Thanks for asking the initial question and thanks to all who replied! Now I know. . . it's just "normal." LOL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts