TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in a loooong flare at the moment but it seems to get a million times worse just as my period is due. For example mine is due today and I couldn't sleep all night had a fever, was soaked in sweat and freezing cold with goosebumps. plus feel really nauseous and soooo tired (couldn't run to get of burning building tired) since yesterday. Also joints/tendons/muscles all ridiculously painful and sore to the extreme.

Just wondered if anyone has found a way to stop this premenstrual flaring...would a contraceptive pill help do you think?

Thanks in advance if anyone has any advice!

:love: :love: :love:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't know, but I can totally sympathise. I've got a mirena fitted which has a low dose contraceptive release - I originally had it as my GP thought my heavy periods were causing my anaemia. It's not helping me with my flare - I get terrible night sweats. I want to sleep in an ice water bed I think that's the answer! lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Mooks,
Sorry i have no idea on how to avoid pre-menstrual flare ups, Just know that i also suffer terribly with the night sweats, extra fatigue etc..... every month :(
So will be following this thread looking for tips too ;)
Hope you feel better soon x x x x x ;)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Michelle,

I'm going to try & make some sense here. Pre-lupus I always had pre-menstrual problems and evening primrose oil really helped. I've always been sensitive to artificial hormones like the contraceptive pill and the mirena coil just sent me more loopy than I already am :lol:

I was always regular but since lupus and various meds I'm all over the place. Now, at 37 I am experiencing menopausal symptoms with night sweats, headaches, irregular periods, joint pain, tiredness etc.

My doc wanted to prescribe hormones until my husband told him he was leaving LOL - so I'm taking tranexamic acid to stop the blood loss and have upped the evening primrose oil. I still get some symtoms but they are not quite as bad. My appetite is raging the week before my period but I can't eat so much due to chronic costochondritis.

I hope that helps in some way. If you've been ok with the pill before it may be an option for you. I was also told that Sage Tea helps with the night sweats.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's not something I've tried, but I know some people increase their dose of pred for a couple of days beforehand - you don't have to taper if it's not for very long. Maybe it's something to ask your doctor about?

:hehe:

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Michelle,
Wish I could help you but at 22 had a surgery to get rid of all that lol. I wish you the best in feeling better and in handling your onsets.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hi there
like you I would really go throught the mill for about a week before my period,it was so bad I barely had the energy to leave the house,the pain & mental fatique was completetly debilitating & I dreaded it every month,

I then read about being oestragen dominant - apparantly false hormones are in lots of household objects & washing detergents as well as food,we then get an overload of oestragen instead of an equal balance of oestogen & progesterone which makes pmt really bad anyway,for those of us who have lupus, as we all know hormones play a huge part in our illness,so I researched a more natural approach to balancing things up & to cut a long story short I started using a natural progesterone cream,

basiclly it is a cream made from entirely natural plant progesterones,not synthetic lab created progesterones so our bodies accept it with no problems or side effects whatsoever,you simply rub the cream (about 1/4 tea spoon) into fatty areas of the body such as buttocks,breasts,tummy & hips morning & evening for the last 2 weeks of your cycle,

I have been using this for about 4 months now & I cant believe how much better the pmt flare is,the worst of the fatique & pain is now gone,as has the swollen tummy & awful water retention & I have more energy,I do sometimes still get a bit hot in bed but nowhere near as bad as it was & I would certainly reccomend it,it really does help,the cream I use is called "serenity" as it seemed to be the best qaulity on the market I could find - its not cheap it costs around £17 per pot but p&p is free & each pot lasts around 4 months,it has certainly helped me & I no longer feel a prisoner to my own cycle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts