The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, In the past six months I have had raised liver enzymes : AST and ALT and a raised fasting cholesterol. Is this connected to lupus or something totally separate? I was only diagnosed with lupus five weeks ago so I am unsure what to expect.

·
4,445 Posts
HI again Claire, I had raised liver enzymes, not sure which ones, but mine was down to taking Celebrex.. as soon as I stopped them they returned to normal. I think lupus can affect your cholesterol.. sure I read that.. Daniel Wallace's book is very good at answering those sorts of questions, he has just brought out 4th edition.. I have the 3rd, I recommend it as a good book to get your information from.... until the next time,
Claire XX

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi Claire, my liver tests are also abnormal but my rheumy isn't worried about it at moment. As Claire says it does mention this in the lupus book by Daniel Wallace and it gives a good explanation. Sometimes it can be as a result of the meds we take.

You really need to discuss this with your doc, so you can determine the cause and the best course of action. Let us know how you get on.

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Claire

I've had raised liver enzymes over last year too. Not sure if lupus related but after tests it was found that I had inflammation in a bile duct. None of the doctors I've seen can give an explanation for it. I'm hoping to be referred back to the rheumatologist to see if he can answer that question.
I can only suggest that you keep using this forum as I have found it a godsend when I've been unsure about many things to do with lupus. Take care.

Luv,Mary x

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again everyone. I have spoke to my Rhuemy and she has given me reqest forms for more blood tests and a scan of my liver to be on the safe side. Will let you know what the outcome of the tests are. Much appreciated advice :)

Claire XXXX

·
Yard Sale Diva
186 Posts
My liver enzymes are always high, due to fatty liver disease. I have had two liver biopsies and it always shows up on ct scans. My gastroenterologist says there isn't much he can do about it, he just is monitoring it for now. I hope yours is fine and it can be figured out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had raised liver test.. they usually return to normal.. I figure it is probably a medicine I am on. My rhemie said she likes to keep cholest. lower in her lupus patients because they are already prone to heart problems. Don't know if this helps or not.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Claireb; I have abnormal liver tests all of the time; these together with my lymphocytes are usually the ones the docs look over first. I am not sure on any/the connection with cholesterol (as mine is low) but high liver figures may depend upon the medication you are on, or/and, you might be drinking too much for your liver to cope with. Most docs will not get over excited for figures just over the threashold, even if like mine they have been over for quite some time. If you are on cyto-toxics your liver and kidneys are going to be over worked dealing with them.

·
Registered
594 Posts
HI there,
yes I recently had to have a break from methtrexate due to raised ALT. I stopped for two weeks and they dod return to normal. I think that this can quite often result from the medications. Your docs should be keeping a close and act appropriately. If you are atall worried I would just get onto your gp and ask them about it.

Good Luck

Take care

Cassie :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.