The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, if others have been placed on meds... What about seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist?

"Everyday is a suprise with Lupus!​

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
well, every time I look in the mirror I am 'seeing' a psychologist hahaha, not that it does me much good.

Counselling etc can support recovery from depression, but meds speed it up immensely.

cheers

raglet

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Precious,

A large number of people here on the boards are on medication for depression. Depression is very frequently part and parcel of lupus. It is actually a symptom for many people.

Of course, counselling or therapy can be very important too.

The most important is not to ignore depression and let it take hold as it will obviously worsen the other effects of the disease and slow any kind of healing considerably.

Another importnat point is that anti-depressants are also used quite effectively to combat certain types of pain, notably that of fibromyalgia.

bye for now,
Katharine

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi precious,

There arent too many of us who arent on anti-depressants.

There's a sticky link at the top of the Symptoms forum which gives more information on depression and Lupus.

I am on Cipramil (Citalopram) and it's made a world of difference to me. Counselling can help also, if your GP is not comfortable diagnosing it or prescribing then you could get a referral to a Psychiatrist. Most GP's will handle it though, it was my Lupus Doc who got that sorted out for me :)

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
:) Hi Precious, Yes, there are lots of us on anti-depressants. I was not getting out of bed, wondering if a life with Lupus was worth living, when I finally came to this board and asked the very same question. The fact is, that any time someone has a chronic disease, there will be
depression, and it will, in time, put you down to your knees. So, yes, I do believe in the meds, I know they saved me, and also, for a lot of people, counseling helps
also. But this is not a decision to take lightly, as each person is different. If you are thinking of this, definately see your GP first. :wink2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts