The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Brenda
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on disability since I was 20 years old (now 33) and i've never had a job or been able to make money. I am in a position to make some money doing freelance writing and I would love to take it, but I'm afraid if I do disability will say I now have a "skill" and I will lose it. I can't afford to because of medication costs. Have any of you had this sort of problem?

·
Registered
71 Posts
HI Brenda, i think you can make a certain amount a month befroe they say anything but you will need to check on that. you could call your SS. office. so were you 20 when you got lupus. i have been on disabiliyt for lets see about4 yrs now had lupus since 1985. i was just lucky with the type of job i had or i would have been on it allot sooner. it took me 3 yrs to get my ss. so i have alot of informations on it so i will see what i can find out and i am sure you will be get more replys here. free lance would be alot of fun i see why you would like to do it. you see what you can find out and i will to. because i know what you mean about messing up your benifits. take care sue:)

·
Registered
359 Posts
HI

I have been on disability for a number of years and work part time. Disability allows you to work as much as you can for 9 months in a 5 year period I think. If your income is above a certain amount for 9 months, then they put you into another phase of the program that also monitors your income and benefits continue. If your income is below the amount, they continue your benefits indefinitely. Once a year they will let you know how many months were above the amount. I looked up all the figures initially and just make sure I keep my income below the amount. I can continue working part time this way.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much. Social Security will send you all this info anyway.

Good luck with it.

Blessings, Joe

·
Registered
359 Posts
Not that I know of. Based strickly on income I think

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Christian,

I suppose there is always that risk for anyone on Disability. I am guessing you are on SSI and not SSDI? The rules might be different for the 2 very different disability programs. I know there is a program where you can try out working without losing your benefits until after 9 months of working fulltime and earning a certain amount as Joe mentioned. If you are only talking about making $200 or so per month I wouldn't think you would have any problem. How often is your disability reviewed?

Take care,
karen

·
Brenda
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm on ssdi I think. I was on SSI until my dad retired and went on social security and now I earn off his because I'm a disabled dependent. I'm review around every 3 years. My last review was the first one that wasn't denied then changed on a second round. It said I wasn't denied and they'd let me know if they ever need anymore info about my condition. Makes me wonder if I will be reviewed again.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Brenda,

From how I understood when I spoke to one of the ladies at the SSDI office I was told that I could "apply" (?) fora ticket to work. I would be able to work 9 months with their hope and thinking that I could come of SSDI. However if you couldn't work, then you couldn't work outside the home, etc and stay in the program. Of course if there are any questions concerning the program, as always, it is best to call the SSDI office.

Nancy

·
Registered
468 Posts
:hehe: Although all that work stuff continues to baffle me, I do know that I was reviewed probably 8 years ago and never again, but I don't know if it is because my SSD came from my having a mental illness or not, they don't even know about the lupus yet as far as I know. The only thing I get reviewed for is medicaid (which I have along with medicare) and food stamps. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I would contact the soc. sec. office and make sure you understand it fully. Good Luck!:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts