The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have been in a flare again after the Plaq has started to kick in. I think it might be lessening the length of the flare but it's been hard again. I have to go Friday to be tested for diabetes as the optometrist seems convinced I have it :rolleyes:

I am always kond of anxious but at times it gets worse. My monthly period or flare seems to make it feel unbearable. Does anyone else experience this when they are in a flare? I feel very fluey and achy, i'm back at work 12 hrs a day am not in a position to cut my hrs.

I have no support with this and I know that this must have a lot to do with it but although I relalise some of it is phsychological it feels like a physical anxiety. When I am not flaring and am well rested my anxiety doesn't seem to get triggered no matter how I feel emotionally if that makes sense.

Would apppreciate any advice

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
pollianna,
You might consider a medicine for the problem or you could try some green tea hot or cold when you feel this way and see if it helps any. I know and understand that you can't cut your hours but if you could adjust when you do them (like 6 hours and a resting time for like an hour were you could lay down even at work and then finish your hours) that might help some. It is the age old question person with illness, feels like crap, but has no way to stop working so they can feel better without loosing everything and maybe becoming homeless right? I have been there and have decided that my health is much more important at the moment and am willing to find ways to make it till things are were it will be easy again. I hope that you start to feel better soon and good luck with all that faces you in the future. We are here if you need us for support.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Hi Polly, I have suffered acute anxiety disorder my entire life. I had no name for it until I was well into my adult life and no help for it until about 10 or so years ago. I was beginning to show peri-menopause symptoms and didn't tolerate the HRT that my gyn recommended. So she suggested I try Paxil because it relieves some hormonal type problems.

It was a miracle for me. For the first time in my life my anxiety was under control. And it's stayed that way. I have gone through a bunch of stuff over the past five or six years, including this diagnosis, without going screaming meemies off the deep end with anxiety.

I would definitely suggest you ask your physician about medication for anxiety. Paxil worked for me, but that's just me. Something else might work for you. If you don't get relief with the first med, ask for a change. It takes afew weeks for it to get into your system.

Keep us posted. And, is there no way you can find a job that won't have you working 12 hour days?? That's bound to put you in a bad place physically at some point.

Sunny

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys. Sunny I am very wary of psych drugs like paxil but I realise we are all different and some feel a benefit from them. I'm glad you found something that helped you

I guess I will wait for the outcome of the diabetes test and if all clear ask them to test me for Hypoglycemia. I do plummet glucose wize and I know that shouldn't happen. failing that I will ask for some CBT therapy. I'm just so fed up with constant referrals for weird and wonderful things :mad: only to be told it's all within the "normal" ranges. Don't know what the eye abnormality is the optometrist saw and don't have much faith the GP will follow it up to a conclusion

As far as work goes I have changed my hrs taking on more carework which gives me 2 hrs in the late afternoon to get from one job to the other :rolleyes: am kinda stuck but at least this takes the pressure off me to perform in the office somewhat .

Hope you guys are doin ok xxx

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello Pollianna,
If you take steroids, some people benefit from a slight increase in them before their period. I know this is something Prof. Hughes agrees with. Also maybe a Vit B. Complex supplement would worth a try. They are not expensive. I insist my Son's Partner takes this as her pre menstrual irritability etc. is difficult for everyone.

I could not work the hours you do, and frankly, I wish you didn't have too.
x Lola

·
Registered
67 Posts
Oh Pollianna I know exactly what you feel like - anxiety was one of my first symptoms and has reared its ugly head with every flare since. Its just as though it finds a weakness when you feel awful and strikes when you're physically down. I've just done another post harping on about the miracle of amytriptaline that I am on for the fibro - so I am repeating myself a bit but I have never hads anything work as well as this for anxiety - it is just a tiny dose but it works wonders - It may be that it makes you sleep better which then keeps your mental defences in better shape - but whatever the reason it really has taken the edge of the anxiety episodes and is definately worth a mention to your doctor. I hope you find a way of conquering this disturbing part of this cr***y illness and wish you all the best xx

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Petal , glad you got some breathing space at work, THe Brighton a Hove Federation of disabled people are doing free/very cheap counselling for the 'Disabled' and friends and family of them, the waiting list is very short at the mo, I have my assesment on the 5th, tougt it wuld be good to talk to someone who doesn't know me and also who I don't have to pretend I have to better than I am for!
The counselling number is 01273 208934
Also have really good Hypntherapist who helped me get Valium free and really helped my anxiety, his name is Richard Cupidi , but he's not free/cheap tho not expensive.
Hope you get stuff sorted soon, big hugs
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

·
florie
589 Posts
Hi pollianna,
I understand your anxiety. I lived with it all my life. I always noticed it was worse when i wasn't feeling well,or when my menestrul was coming around. I am on antidepressants for depression and anxiety. Talk to your doctor and see if they can recommend something for you. Why suffer when there is medicine out there for exactly those problems.

Hope you get some relief with your job and your flare.

Sending hugs your way.
florie:pixiedust:

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks you guys for all the lovely words

Well it's not diabetes that test came back "normal". Back to the drawing board. Seems dissapointing hearing the word "normal" but I don't want to have diabetes Just could use some answers. I have no idea what the eye abnormality is unless it has to do with sjorans sp? and the plaq reduced inflamation in my optic nerves. Lord much more of this and the doc will need to go back to Uni just to keep up the conversations with me :lol:

I have to schlep up to London tomoz for a 10min consultation with the proff of Genetic Dermatology. I am very grateful that I have the appointment but am weary of it all ATM......

Noticed today I have been terribly negative of late, maybe me having the space to notice is progress and my new hrs will help me ameliorate that. I shall work on it.

Once again my sincere gratitiude for you guys taking the time to write. I know your all paddling the same ole canoe
Much Love P xxx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts