The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear friends,

Has anyone consulted with a nutritionist re: eating foods that are anti-inflammatory in nature and/or food that might help our immune systems out in any way? If so, did you have positive results?

Just curious!
Monica

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Monica,

I haven't seen a nutritionist but have developed my own 'plan'which seems to help me a bit and lessen some of my joint pain especially.

I take it easy on gluten containing foods, I'm not gluten intolerant (i.e. celiac) but the more I eat the worse my joint pain and stomach upset.

I limit animal fat (small portions of meat and not every day) and eat low fat cheese and drink low fat milk. Sometimes I cheat because I just love some of the soft cheeses.

I try to drink at least 6-8 glasses of water daily

I go very easy on caffeine, maybe one coffee in the am and at the most two cups of tea after that. Chocolate is my downfall but I am getting better :hehe: at not overdoing it.

I eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies.

I try to avoid nitrates which are found in hot dogs, and manufactured meats of all sorts.

I also limit tomatoes because it definitely worsens my joint pain if I overindulge.

I don't drink pop or soda or whatever you call it over there either.

That's about it really and I'm used to it now, I worked this out over a couple of years of trial and error and really it's just basic healthy eating. Some people may not be bothered by some of the things that make my symptoms worse (we are all different). But for me it's helped a fair bit.

love
Lily

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Lily,

Thanks for sharing with me what works for you.

How hard is it to minimize gluten? I hear that it is in many foods! I think in general I am eating much like you, with the exception of tomatoes and the gluten. I have heard things about tomatoes from other sources, so I may start monitoring my symptoms after eating them. Maybe I'll start there and move onto the gluten issue. I am minimzing dairy personally as I am lactose intolerant...

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I try to eat more pineapple these days in addition to a diet very similar to Lily's, because it contains a substance that appears to be a good anti-inflammatory & has many other beneficial effects. They sell supplements but I do my best to avoid pills and just go straight to the source as much as possible.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
I find that if I over-indulge on dairy then I am in big trouble :worried: I love cream but if I eat it then I pay for it very quickly alterwards with pains in my lungs. :worried:

Anything related to dairy increases the level in inflammatory pains in my body but unfortunately it doesnt always stop me. Somebody hit me over the head....

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dear Maia and Joan,

Thanks for your input. Interesting you should mention pineapple...I ate lots of it last summer and I was doing fairly well at the time. Once it is more widely available again (fresh, that is), I will continue to enjoy it.

I just wish there was a conference where all us Lupies could get together and the researchers hand out questionnaires and allow us to give them info on how we are suffering....what's helpful, what's not...maybe more fruitful research would result...

Thanks again!
Monica

1 - 6 of 6 Posts