TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still in my horrible and long flare...really painful joints and muscles ect ect...My gp has given me a letter to get a crutch or two from the physios at the hospital to take the pressure off my knees and hips ect but wont this just put more pressure on my wrists and shoulders ect?

So has anyone else used a walking aid like this or can you suggest anything better?

I'm doing this 5k walk for st thomas' on sunday and i can barely walk at all at the moment!!!!

Thanks for any advice/experiences xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:love:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I've used crutches following a knee injury (caused by a horse kick!) and they are a LOT more work and very hard on the arms and shoulders. If you have any pain in your arms/hands/shoulders then I would not recommend them. I would instead recommend a walker, one where you can rest your arms on it to help support you walking would be easiest on you all-around I would think. There are a lot of different walking aids out there today, maybe you can go to a medical supply store and have someone assist you and show you some choices?

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
There are a couple of kinds of crutches. The standard under the arm crutch is definitely hard on both shoulders and wrists. The forearm crutch is easier on both the shoulders and wrists because you are not lifting your body up off the ground. You are walking normally and the crutches are offering support.

Walkers are great as long as you get the kind with larger wheels. The other ones that you have to lift as you go are not very steady and I tend to trip more readily. Many rolling walkers also come with a handy seat. Many a time my legs could no longer hold my weight so I would just sit and paddle my feet to get to the closest chair. There is even one out now that can be reconfigured to a transport wheelchair.

It wouldn't hurt to at least give one of the devices a try. They will definitely take some of the pressure off of your knees.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
ive used them, use a stick too, the crutches i did get use to, hard at first, but couldnt walk without, as had my foot done.... anyway until you give it a go you wont know good luck

take care Lin x

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I was wondering about this too when my heels were very bad but, like you I have quite a lot of shoulder and wrist problems and everyone (docs included) agreed that crutches would put too much strain, especially on wrists.

I remember using crutches when I was 14 but now, when I see some older people having to use them, I realise just how hard it would be for me today. I still don't have a good "day out" solution other than a wheelchair (but there are so many "non wheelchair accessible" events). My heels are much better and I'm okish walking so long as it's not "stop/start" but my maximum cumulative standing time is about half an hour so I still don't have a good answer here.

I took a seat stick to a horse event the other day (just for sitting not as a walking aid) but every time I wanted to take a photo it went clattering to the ground so I had to appoint my son as photographer's assistant ready to leap into action and grab it!

It's very hard to know what the right solution is when we can have such variable difficulties and maybe be ok one day and not the next...

Hope the walk goes OK :)

Katharine

·
I can only be myself
317 Posts
I use crutches, i have shock absorbing ones to help my arms and wrists, but for longer distances i tend to use a wheelchair. I do find the crutches start hurtng my arms and wrists after a while, all depends on how much weight i'm putting through them

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I use crutches quite often. I also use a Rollator walker sometimes.
Crutches do seem to preserve the joint spaces a bit, for instance , if you tend to get low back pain on walking, they can help prevent this. (In my experience anyway)

It is important to have crutches that are exactly the right length for you. I had to pay 30.00 for a private Physio appt. to get the crutches right and be instructed on them. It was worth it.

I am not usre if you should attempt this walk, Mooks, please don't do it at the expense of your health.
x Lola

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi Mooks i also you's crutches get the physio to sort them out for you so you have them spot on. I am with lola on the walk did you get the all clear from the doctor before doing it.I know it is important to you but at the moment you are not in the best of health.My daughter was doing a bunge jump for lupus but she is pregnant so one of her friends are doing it for her so we don't miss out on the Sponsers she allready has.If you do it good luck to you what ever you do Elisabeth

·
Registered
995 Posts
walker

Hi Mooks
after years of trying to fiqure out what to use and missing a lot of things because of OA in my knee and back and foot problems. I was fitted for a walker with large wheels and a seat
it works great, and I can sit when I need to. instead of always trying to find a bench or sitting on the curb

it did take some time to get used to, so as I didn't put to much pressure on my arms and wrists, it also has a basket that is great not to have to carry water bottles or handbags
it had given me more freedom to get about
good luck in your choice and walk. I am also going on a lupus walk on the weekend
I hope you find the right choice for you
goats

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Hi,
I still think you should do the wheelchair push and that way if you do get tired you also have a place to sit and rest. Are you sure they will still let you do the race? I am not sure that they will so you might want to check with someone in case you need a release in order to do it my dear. You are a strong spirit, this will not even keep you from a race. I hope you do well and it does not matter where you finish just that you finish remember that. If you don't finish at least you tried. Have fun and don't over do it please. I hope you are feeling better soon.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I've used crutches when I had foot surgery. I bought a rolling walker with a seat, and I have used a quad cane. I found that quad cane was much easier for me and more steady. Thankfully I am not having to use any of them now. I keep them around just as insurance just so I know what it is like.
Sally

1 - 11 of 11 Posts