The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
rockstar!
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone's rheumy prescribed physical therapy for them? I saw mine today and he would like me to do physical therapy in a warm pool. His motivation for this was actually that it might increase my appetite and make it easier for me to gain some weight since I'm still struggling with it. He wants to increase my methotrexate and plaquenil (only on 200 mg), but doesn't want to touch them until I can gain some weight back.

I'm actually kind of excited for this because for once, they're not prescribing more pills to shove down my throat! I feel like this could be really good and give me a little bit of exercise without hurting. I was hesitant initially because the last time I did water aerobics, I got a staph infection in my ear that eventually spread and I struggled with it coming back for 18 months straight. He said this was likely a fluke because I went to a senior center and it may not have been clean, but that this facility was a very clean clinic and I should have no worries about it.

Anyway, I just wanted to check if anyone had experiences with this. From the sounds of it, they said I can work with a physical therapist for as many times as necessary and then I can eventually just come in and use the pool whenever I like for a cheap drop-in fee. The only bummer is that it is located downtown, so getting there is a pain in the butt. But if it makes me feel better and gain weight, I'm game!

-kit

·
Registered
995 Posts
my rheumy stronger suggested that I do water exercise,
I went to classes but I did to much to keep up and then flared. He then suggested that I see a pt . which I did and know I do the exercises on my own in our pool

It is the best way to exercise. when you first start it should be under supervision of a pt.

then you can move on to your own. between my sle and fibro.I can not do it more then twice a week or I end over doing it. but each is person is different. but it feels wonderful. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do

·
Dee
302 Posts
I go to the hospital & use the warm pool once a week, recommended by by rheumy, but this was after he had dx me with Fibromyalgia, as a secondary to my Lupus.
We have a local group of fibro's who use the pool & gym once a week, I'm just doing the pool at the moment to try build my energy levels up ready for the gym too, the physio's take the classes, & we do them in bouts of 10 with a 2 week break then start again, we don't have to go every week, just 10 lots of them.

It's lovely, nice & warm & very gentle exercise, I'd recommend it :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I've joined a local health club that has a pool they keep very warm and go there as a 9 month membership cost the same as 6 weeks of PT (I went to PT for 3 weeks first to get a handle on the exercises they wanted me to do.) I enjoy it a lot but I would never be able to do the exercises they do in the classes - way too much for me.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
hi there

I have not tried aquatic therapy myself, but I do know a lot of other lupies have found it very beneficial. I go to the gym three times a week, and what I have learnt about exercise is that it is important to get a programme that is taylor made for me, and that the only person I should be comparing myself with is myself.

hope you enjoy it

raglet

·
Administrator
10,200 Posts
Hi Kit,

My family jokes that whenever I am around water I want to eat.

I haven't tried the water therapy but it has worked for some friends of mine. You don't have the same impact on the joints but you still get a great workout. Be careful not to overdo in the beginning or you won't want to continue. Good luck.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Hazel595
713 Posts
Hi Kit......I was referred to a local gym on teh advice of Dr Hughes....and my local rheumy in 2004...........specifically for Aqua exercise.

I went once a week for a Aqua mobility lesson which lasted for ½ hour and within 6 months I felt strong enough to attend the big Aqua Aerobics class.

It is surprising how much I can do in the water than out of the water and it has made me feel so much better. In 2005/2006 I went into Lupus Remission and was going to 3 Aqua classes a week which each last 45 minutes.....

You do have to build up to it but you can do it......I am on 20mg of Methotrexate a week and also take Plaquenil, Prednisolone, Folic acid and Warfarin.

I joined another gym last year where I can do a air assisted 30 minute workout spending 3 minutes on each piece of equipment so only go to the pool to do aqua aerobics one a week.....I make a full afternoon of it though and spend time in the hydrotherapy pool which really helps my muscle/joint pain.

I feel so much healthier since starting to exercise in the water and if I am having a bad day and I'm not up to doing teh aqua aerobic class I take my pain killers and go just for teh hydrotherapy pool which makes me feel so much better.

I really recommend it.....just remember to pace yourself........if you try to do things too quickly it will tire you out and fatigue will hit you and then it will put you off going.

xxx Hazel

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do aquatics two times a week. I have done this for several years. The class that I attend has an arthritis trained aquatic therapist. We each do our own excercises during the hour. We always start off with simply walking. The class is limited to 5 people due to the small pool size. The pool is located in the rehab center at the local hospital.

I enjoy the workout. It is a good easy way to move without pain. The warm water feels great.

Diane

·
Registered
468 Posts
I loved the warm water!

I was doing physical therapy on land and it made me exhausted and hurt even more, then I started the pool exercises, gentle, easy and comfortable most of the time. My only problem is that they stopped paying for them. I can't afford the gym anymore, so maybe in a few months the insurance, Medicare & Medicaid will pay for it again. Fingers crossed. Karly

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sarah's Rheumies told her she must do 1 hour of cardio of any type at least 1 a day Sounds hard. They said it was the only way to get her from spiral down to extreme fatigue they see so often with lupus patients when they decrease their prednisone. I called my gym which I have a really cheap rate as I have been there for ever (don't always go) and her rate will triple as she is a new sign up. They won't charge her sign up and she can quit if it doesn't suit because of her medical condition.

I guess it will get me on the horse as well as I have gotten so out of shape and been procrastinateing. I do know exsercise is so important.

Sharon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.