The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
florie
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I was just wondering how true it is for getting calcium with tums. I don't take vitamins, just the medicines i have too. I enjoy eating yogurts, and i was wondering how many of you take calcium . Is it helpful especially for having sjorgen's? Since i am 51yrs old should i have started to worry about calcium intake sooner? My primary doctor told me to chew tums up to 3x's a day.
Florie

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Florie,

I have to admit I've never heard of this. I know that I have to be careful taking antacids while taking Plaquenil.

Has your doctor told you to up your calcium level due to being on Pred?

I hope someone else comes along with more info for you. Hope you're doing well.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi,

Anyone taking Cell Cept needs to avoid taking Antacids also..Or at least time the antacid carefully..I know I read something about it in the literature pack I recieved with my Cell Cept prescription.

:)
ANSY

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hi Florie

I took them when I was in the USA, in fact I have just run out of those I imported when we came back. They are certainly very easy to consume.
You are supposed not to take them at the same time as Plaquenil but about an hour either side. It seems they can affect absorption of the medicine. It says on the bottle that they might interfere with prescription meds so consult your pharmacist

They don't have any effect on the disease but they help against osteoporosis and a calcium supplement is recommended for all women over 50. I think 1200mgs a day is the usual. I took 3 Tums a day too

:)

Clare

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
They are an OK source, but if you get 2-3 servings of dairy a day then supplementation is unneccessary. If you need calcium supplementation, the official dietary supplements may be better because they will also usually contain Vitamin D and magnesium which will aid the absorption of calcium. The vitamin D is especially important, even more so for those of us that avoid the sun.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Tums are a good source of calcium but there are a lot of foods that are high in calcium also. A calcuim supplement may also help you don't get enough in your diet. I have never had any problems taken tums but they may infere with some of your meds.

JEN

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hello
My wife has been on Calcium for years and should have been way before she was told to start taking it.

The doctor she has now told her to start because one of the first things he did when he found out how long she had been on Steriods was test her bone density.
He found that she already had Osteoporosis and was very suprised none of her past doctors ever checked this.

She had trouble taking Calcium because of the size of many of them and they are rough and had a tendancy to get stuck going down.
She found that several companys make a gel cap that is much easier to take.
If you are think of Tums because of the fact you can chew them and it would be easier then you may want to look at the gel caps as well.

I can not say if they are truely a good source or not but I know for me if I could take a gel cap once or them three times a day i would go for the one does and be done with it.

I'm wondering why your doctor recommended Tums? If they are truely such a good source or if it was a answer he thought of to something that was expressed while in the office?

You said that you do not take vitamins just the medications that are prescribed.
But if the dotor tells you to take the calcium it becomes a prescribed medication for you.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

If your Dr has not done a bone density test then you should ask for one..they are easy and very helpful, even if just as a baseline.

I take fossomax...this is a prescription to prevent osteoperosis, or to treat it if you get it.

I started taking calcium supplements when I was DX as I was in early menopause (36) and it was always a worry. They started me on the fossomax at 47 due to prendisone being added to the mix and higher risk of osteoperosis and ostioarthritis.

I know that with cellcept you need to stay away from ant-acids with aluminum in them as they interfere with drug. Calcium supplements will always be a better source of calcium than tume, plus why take a medicine you don't need???? (just my opinion....I take too much medicine already)

Stephanie

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Florie,

My mother used tums for her calcium source for years and it was a medical professional that recommended it to her. During the 1990's I ate tums for my calcium supplement especially because I was on prednisone all the time in those days.

I would do a little research on calcium supplements because so much more is known compared to 20 years ago. The "newer" supplements have vitamin D and/or magnesium combined with the calcium. My supplement is Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D. Apparently the Citrate form is absorbed by the body better than other forms. I don't know how much difference all this makes but I have seen other times where doctors are several years behind on current research.

Take care,
Karen

·
florie
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the helpful information. Your feed back was very helpful.

I usually take the tums during the day. Plaquenal at night after dinner.
I agree that i should of been told to take calcium at my age.
I believe my primary physcian informed me of taking tums. I only remember him saying that after my blood tests came back. My white cell count was very low. I don't know if that has anything to do with the tums though.
I don't take cellcept.
I do take nexium for my esphosogas. Plaquenal,premarin (after my hysterectomy),Trazadone to sleep,Zoloft for depression and now tums.
I have a Rhuemy appt.on thursday so i will tell him of the tums and get his opinion.
I also have been having joint pain in my thumbs,along with tingling and numbness sensation in my hands,arms and feet. I haven't had any steroids in a while (like months). But strange new symptoms have been happening.

Were expecting a cold front and that will chill my bones and i will be hurting from the cold.Once i get cold i just have a hard time getting warmed up.
Thank you all once again. I will tell you of the outcome of thursday appt. Hugs always, Florie:rose:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I take vitamins everyday. My GP gave me a list of vitamins to take. One was calcium. Sometimes its hard for me to swollow the bigger vitamin pills. So I started buying viactiv calcium chews, and using them on the days I'm having a bit of trouble getting my other pills down.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Many nursing home patients are given tums due to the lower cost. I agree with pam, loopyloo. some drugs including plaquenil say not to take with antacids. It can effect the absorption. Check with doctor you may be able to use them if taken at different times. Lisa

1 - 13 of 13 Posts