The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there everyone. Having studied Aromataic Medicine at Liverpool University some years ago and managing a Degree in Complementary Health Care I thought I might share some 'experiences' with you particularly some important safety considerations when using essential oils. I am newly diagnosed with Lupus so my knowledge of this is limited but hopefully you may find the following helpful.

Aromatherapy is a Self Regulated profession, not regulated by statute (there are huge differences in standards of education and training). Therefore when choosing a therapist dont be afraid to ask questions (if she has spent many years studying on an approved programme she will be very happy to tell you about it) e.g. Do you belong to a professional organisation e.g IFPA? and how long did you train for and what did you study. Good therapists will have studied A&P and disease in some form to at least 1st year degree level.

NEVER take essential oils orally - some can be gargled for ulcers and sore throats (very effectively)but you musnt 'tamper' with this. Unfortunately the perception is that because essential oils are 'natural' they must be safe. On the contary. They are highly concentrated and can be VERY toxic. People tend to add a few more drops 'for good measure' -less is ALWAYS best. So again ask a qualified / regulated therapist.

Massage is extremely valuable for joint and muscle pain, again there are some contraindications but generally Aromatherapy massage is safe - again by a professional therapist.

When buying essential oils use a reputable supplier. Be careful of 'wild crafted' oils. I worry about these as often we dont know who is authenticating the botanical sourse; and this could potentially be hazardous.

Ive used neat lavender (a very safe oil) for my lupus rash, it really helped the pain. Ive also used it to help me relax when Im down and for sleep. Again people use too much. Studies have shown that the brain responds 'better' to an almost imperceptable aroma rather than aroma overload. So one drop on a tissue near the bed is enough.

There is so much more to write - this is the tip of the ice berg but I hope its been a little help.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
thank you for that post :)

It is very helpful to have such insight and your opinion as I'm sure that it is a question many people have considered.

Katharine

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought a cooling lavendar body mist the other day from the aromatherapy stuff in Boots - I got it as I was having trouble sleeping with aches, pains, and being too hot. It has really helped and I feel so much better for having a couple of nights of reasonable sleep. I might get some pure lavendar oil now to add to my bath.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you, your post is very helpful and I hope you don't mind if I ask you for advice in the future.

Jen x:thumbs:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi not at all, I suppose Ive got so much help from this site In a small way Im hoping I might be able to give something back.
If your putting any essential oil in the bath put it into milk first(a teaspoon of milk will do). This acts as an emmollient and pulls the essntial oil into the water. If you dont it just evapourates very quickly and though you get the benefits of the olfactory response (smell) its not touching your skin. 4 drops maximum of any oil in a bath. Lavender is a lovely safe oil to use as are most of the florals but again not all are safe so take caution.
Kx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.