The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like nearly all of us, I suffer from joint pain and swelling/ arthritis. I have it mostly on the tops of my hands from about the wrist to mid-way up and my wrists and fingers. I am only taking hydroxychloroquine and motrin. I was taking prednisone, but have finally got off of it and have been for a week. When I wake, my hands are very sore and my knees will feel locked, but after about an hour or so, they both feel 'alright' . Could I be headed for a remission, or do I have to be without pain and swelling? Doc wants me on methotrexate, but I do ok right now without it. I work as a nursing assistant, going to school for my RN. I do a lot of heavy lifting. Am I living in a dream world that the MCTD will go into remission and I will live a close to normal life? I just hate the idea of being on medications I don't REALLY need. Any thoughts for me? Thanks!:)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I would say that you can't be in a remission if you are in pain and have joint swelling... but it can still happen. :) How long have you been on Plaquenil? It can take 6+ months before it reaches full effect.

I can understand being leery of going on additional medication when you are able to manage to get through your days without it; there are pros/cons to consider and weigh out before starting on additional medication like methotrexate and this is definitely something to discuss with your doctor (especially discuss any concerns you have about it). Ultimately the decision is up to you so it's important to do what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been on it about 4 months-- so hoping still time for more improvement :) ! Thanks for your reply. I just wasn't sure if I would be faced with arthritis pain every day now, or it was something that would go away...

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, I understand you want to be in remission and not on lots of meds. You sound as though your joints are bad, I would talk to your doc as there may be other options. You need your joints to be stable if you do heavy lifting. This will only increase the strain on your joints. Maybe you need some kind of support on your knees when working, could you ask your rheumy or doc?

Deb

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can ask my doc, but I don't get back in to see my rheumy until December... ugghhhhh ... the wait... My doc though, doesn't really tell me much as he says he prefer my rheumy talk with me on such matters. I guess maybe it is starting to sound that maybe I will need methotrxate? :( Was hoping the arthritis was normal... thanks again for the replies. :)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I think a little to a moderate amount of pain is pretty typical for many lupus patients... but when it is very hard to do everyday necessities of life due to that pain then it's probably time to consider adding additional medication. Especially when it's been like that for months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.