The Lupus Forum banner

Article About My Family

513 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Sage Hen 
#1 ·
#2 ·
hi Sandy,

I know where Mendelson is/was in Sussex, but as for 'the' beach sorry I read the article few times didn't see a mention of the name!!!! this post is a bit odd as I now live in Germany amongst 'the krauts'.
Anyway thanks for posting it, your dad looks really 'dashing' (only the Englisg use this word,...I think) thank God for all those who fought inthe 2 World Wars. Where ever I travelto if there is a war cemetry there I always visit it....and usually end up crying.
I teach teenagers and so few of them really realise what a sacrifice was made.

Love Marikaxxx

#3 ·
Hi Marika

Its on Page 2 of the article

The big bomber belly-landed on a sandy coast near Dungeness, at Romney Marsh, in Kent, England, about 25 miles south of Dover.
Sorry I cant help you Sandy - not being a 'Brit' like....! Lovely story though. I hope the trip is wonderful for them all.

Cheers
Joan:rose:

#4 ·
thanks Joan, I'm such a dim wit (would scream at the kids at school for doing something like that...hehe)

Well yes...I do know Dungeness my dad worked there for a while on a nuclear power plant!!!but it's anice area of England, so I hope you all have a memorable time there.

Today in school we had some 'TIme Witnesses'...every year the city of Frankfurt invites about 70 former residents of Frankfurt who left or lived thru the war during the Nazi period. These people are usually Jewish and now residents of America...the city pays for them to come to Frankfurt and stay here and then they tour various schools and tell of their experiences,and kids can ask them questions.
It's quite amazing to see these hard little so and so's , in their rapper T shirts ect. go deathly quiet when these people speak. Today Mr. Goldsmith and his wife were in our school and told of their youth ect. he also found out on this trip what had happened to the rest of his family, as they only received 2 visas for the whole family(he (17) and his siter (16) left)....There is a wall in Frankfurt with a small stone enscribed with each name of a person who was deported..incl. Anne Frank...Mr. Goldsmith visited it on this trip aand saw the names of the rest of his family all of whom were exterminated....you could have heard a pin drop in the room when he told the kids this and. I saw one or two crying for him.
I know many people say it's something of the past but really we can't let the present generation become blase'.
I'm sure it will be an imotional visit for you.

Take care
Marika

#5 ·
I have a feeling that Mendlesham is in Suffolk not Sussex. I live in Sussex and my father came from Suffolk. Have done a search and can only find Mendlesham, Suffolk.

Don't know whether that will help you.

Best wishes

Jen :rose:

Edited to add: Yes I know where Dungeness is.

#6 ·
Hi.
Yes............Mendlesham is indeed in Suffolk, about 20 miles or so from where I live:)
There are many bases in Suffolk where, being very rural and on the eastern side of England many British and American WW2 pilots were stationed http://www.oldairfields.fotopic.net/c1658843.html
My Mum who in her twenties during the war and sang with a big band, could tell a few tales...........or perhaps not:rotfl:

There is also The Imperial War museum at Duxford in Cambridgeshire which houses vintage planes from the era.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.