TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shrug: Just a while ago I got an email saying that the artificial sweetner in diet items, aspertame, causes the symptoms of MS and lupus. First I'll let you know what it said then say something about it. Apparently when this sweetner gets warm, above 86 degrees the aspertame turns into an acid somewhat like what a fire aunt uses as defense and can cause weakness, joint pain, fatigue and aparently if consumed enough you can be poisoned by the acid.:worried:

Ok, that's the story. But what I would point out is it causes the "symptoms" of lupus and MS, but doesn't cause the blood work to be positive in ANA, rheumatoid factor etc. What I do when I see an email like this sent to me, which it was sent indirectly to me by someone who thinks I am making a big deal out of nothing with the diagnosis of lupus, also thinks that there is a vitamin I can take that will cure it. Of course I am not a doctor, but aspertame is in a lot of stuff and the way I look at it is eat and drink things in moderation so that you get no ill effects from the stuff, as well as keeping drinks etc, room temp. or cold. I used to drink about four or five 64 ounce diet pops a day.:eek: And I thought, this is no good for my bones, or my system so I cut down. Now, my stomach does somewhat better, except for the occasional nausea from the gastroparesis I have, and sometmes I get gastritis. I have started, a couple weeks back, to drink more water, vitamin enhanced mixed water, Gatorade, and other things, with an occasional pop, sometimes more. So if you get this email don't freak out too much, in my opinion, just do things in moderation unless you find a direct connection with your symptoms.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Hi,

I too have been 'given' this information on aspartame and lupus by my MIL. I'm sure she thought she was being really helpful and it was truly meant in that spirit. However, it really got me down and a bit annoyed if I'm honest! I mean, if it caused lupus etc, wouldn't everyone have it. Clearly there's more to the story.

And the inference is that if that causes it then surely by stopping eatine/drinking stuff with it in, the lupus will go away completely! I have tried everything to try to get my lupus to go into remission. And I resent people making it out like it's soooo easy - just stop drinking diet coke. I do drink diet coke - sometimes, 10 cans per week, but really that's pretty rare. I like to drink it when I go out for dinner sometimes. I have not noticed any increase in my symptoms when I do/or don't drink it.

All information is useful, especially in a disease like lupus but a cause all , cure all approach I do not find at all helpful. It can trivialise our disease and what we're going through to try to get it under control, like taking horriblle powerful meds with nasty side effects. If all I had to do was not drink diet coke etc, wow, wouldn't that be great! Grrrrrr .. . . ...

Cathy x
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,800 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I hadn't seen that topic before........it's just another example of how "caring" people try to tell us we don't have an illness and we shouldn't be making a big deal out of it, just stop drinking diet pop.:mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,800 Posts
No worries, it was before you joined and anyway, we can't remember everything but it is a suject that kind of annoys me when all those well meaning people bring it up!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top