The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi....saw gp today as he rang to ask me to pop in....he is 98% certain that i have autoimmune hepatitus. as he has check the scan results i had last week..Gp has contacted st tommies to ask about treatment...mind you i have a appointment 18th march so it may be easier to wait..:sad:.....still waiting for dermy results though...:rolleyes:....jane

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi...thanks you two....iv had more bloods done today ..we see what they are like and if anything has changed.....but st tommies have refferred me to a gastro-oligist near me ..to seen what happening......must admit i have been in tears since...thinking im going to die soon..:worried: ...:rolleyes:......i did tell gp and he was very re-assuring by saying that its not cancer so i be ok.....:blush:......letting my mind wander of course.....:blush:.....still i think we will need to cancel our trip to spain in may...gp was none comitiual to if i would be ok to go?.....so i think may be uk would be great for this year.....:)........hope you all ok and well.....jane

·
Registered
642 Posts
:hug:
Jane,
Try not to worry (I know............easier said)
I believe autoimmune hepatitis can be well controlled with similar drugs to lupus.........ie methotrexate.
I hope you can get some good solid advice soon.
I suppose May might be a bit soon to know how you settle on treatment but who knows.
Very best wishes

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Jane,

I'm glad they are sending you to a Gastroenterologist, they are the experts with these sorts of problems :hug:

Even if it is Autoimmune Hepatitis, they use Prednisone and drugs like Imuran to control it.

Here's a piece from that earlier article I gave to you on Auto Hep:

Treatment

Treatment works best when autoimmune hepatitis is diagnosed early. With proper treatment, autoimmune hepatitis can usually be controlled. In fact, recent studies show that sustained response to treatment not only stops the disease from getting worse, but also may actually reverse some of the damage.
The primary treatment is medicine to suppress (slow down) an overactive immune system.
Both types of autoimmune hepatitis are treated with daily doses of a corticosteroid called prednisone. Your doctor may start you on a high dose (20 to 60 mg per day) and lower the dose to 5 to 15 mg/day as the disease is controlled. The goal is to find the lowest possible dose that will control your disease.
Another medicine, azathioprine (Imuran) is also used to treat autoimmune hepatitis. Like prednisone, azathioprine suppresses the immune system, but in a different way. It helps lower the dose of prednisone needed, thereby reducing its side effects. Your doctor may prescribe azathioprine, in addition to prednisone, once your disease is under control.
Most people will need to take prednisone, with or without azathioprine, for years. Some people take it for life. Corticosteroids may slow down the disease, but everyone is different. In about one out of every three people, treatment can eventually be stopped. After stopping, it is important to carefully monitor your condition and promptly report any new symptoms to your doctor because the disease may return and be even more severe, especially during the first few months after stopping treatment.
In about 7 out of 10 people, the disease goes into remission, with a lessening of severity of symptoms, within 2 years of starting treatment. A portion of persons with a remission will see the disease return within 3 years, so treatment may be necessary on and off for years, if not for life.
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/autoimmunehep/

Good luck :luck:

love
Lily

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes...hi lily one of those consultants i couldnt remember....:lol:.......i am a bit better in my self now....i have spoken to gp...he thought i was upset cos it may have been cancer....but that hadnt even entered my head.:eek:......i just thought i ...well i dont know really.....its admitting to yourself you have a chronic illness i think.....i never have....so. anyway..many thanks and i shall keep you all informed....jane:yes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts