Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

I was just recently told to go onto the AIP diet and it's EXTREMELY hard! I was wondering if anyone has tried this diet and if it resulted in any improvement. Am I waisting my time with this or will my inflamation go down?

Any/all feedback is appreciated!

·
4,438 Posts
Hi Kate.... I have been doing some reading of this diet online... it is quite interesting to a degree....some is old news ie it is best to avoid processed foods or foods that have been altered or introduced into our diet that shouldn't have been (in an ideal world..).back to caveman eating etc and I have to say that many on here already do embrace a pretty healthy diet to try and help our diseases as much as possible.

There doesn't seem to have been any clinical trials as such or trials generally to assess the validity of the claims backed up with case studies etc as far as I can see..(could be there somewhere but not found on a quick look around) ..... on one site the lady is quoted as being a Dr of science..then on her site is a disclaimer saying... I am not a doctor...(not sure if she means of science of medicine or of anything ??).

I think this diet seems to have elements that may be helpful but a lot of big claims that may not be......I will keep an open mind, but I also want to not make my day to day life so dreadful and hard in yet another area I want to swim away forever on a current of Olive Oil ;0)..... so for now I will remain gluten free and eat as healthily as I can and listen hard to my body etc without obsessing too much about all the things I have already given up :0(((

I will however be very interested to hear how you get on.... you are the guinea pig on this one I think !! lol...............Claire btw who told you to go on it ?

·
Registered
359 Posts
hey everyone,

I was just recently told to go onto the AIP diet and it's EXTREMELY hard! I was wondering if anyone has tried this diet and if it resulted in any improvement. Am I waisting my time with this or will my inflamation go down?

Any/all feedback is appreciated!
Hi Kate,
I am currently following the Paleo diet, but have not been as strict as some others on it. I'm part of a Paleo app.(yes, an app for that too!) and we post our meals in order to get feedback and support. Over the holidays I did eat quite a bit of non-Paleo food. The past couple of nights I've had trouble sleeping and a small flare has begun. However, like Clair said, it's not that different from watching what you eat, but does recommend a strict version to begin with. This includes a large amount of protein and vegetables. Since I have some kidney involvement from the lupus, I had to modify the protocol slightly. I include eggs(which don't effect the kidneys like meat protein) and then I was able to cut back the meat protein that they recommend. The most difficult part for me is having a wife and children that will not get on board with me. This means that sweets and breads are always within reach. So anyway, despite all the distractions and opposition, I was able to stick with it for most of 2015. I then had my routine colonoscopy and was encouraged to follow a low FODMAP diet for IBS. It's been another challenge to incorporate both diets, but when I do, there is definitely improvement. I still take some plaquenil and I'm grateful that it is available to give me a safety net. I'm by no means perfect and I've made many mistakes with the diet.
The Paleo lifestyle is exactly that, a lifestyle. It includes more than just dietary recommendations. There is sufficient rest, exercise, reducing stress, etc. So a cynical person might say, "if I include all that other stuff, I'll get better regardless of my diet"! Well, maybe that's true. All I know is my story: After a couple of months on the Paleo lifestyle, I decided to stop all my meds. This was successful for the 3 months when I was not working, but you might argue that some of the medicine was still in my system and providing some benefit. I did lose some weight and I may have gotten dehydrated while working outside in the summer months. Some lightheadedness compelled me to start up the plaquenil again to be on the safe side.
In conclusion, if you need and desire a plan that helps without mega doses of medication, give it a try. It can't hurt to take care of yourself and there's no cost unless you get caught up in all the marketing. I would not recommend going against your doctor's orders like I tend to do, but if your doctor sees improvement, I'm sure he'll work with you.
All my best!
Joe

Reactions: x_claire_x

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife was recently dx and we've been investigating and reading up on the possible benefits of diet on auto-immune disease. It's not scientific, but I thought this thread on a different board (below) was pretty enlightening. I didn't do the math but it seems the vast majority of the respondents whom changed their diet saw meaningfully positive results. I found books like Wahls Protocol to be very informative.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.