TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone please explain to me what exactly is this. i read a thread that clare posted on this but didnt quite understand it that much.

is it possible that this is what i have because these doctors cant find anything wrong with me when it comes to my high pulse, palpitations and shortness of breath? do they have a test for this. what doctor can i see to find out more about this?

thanks, lydia

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Lydia,

I am dealing with this right now as you are and I have been told that I have autonomic nervous system dysfunction. My heart doctor has been putting me through a battery of tests to determine what exactly is going on.

I have done heart monitors, EKG's, Ultrasounds of my heart and moving ahead I will have a Tilt table study done as well as some balance testing done too.

I hope you get this sorted out. Autonomic dysfunction can cause a array of various problems that do not show up in blood work or on some scans.

Let us know how you make out moving ahead and good luck.:wink2:

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Sushi,

The autonomic nervous system controls the things in our bodies that happen whether we are thinking about them or not. A few examples are breathing, our hearts pumping, and digestion.

There are specific tests to check for autonomic nerve dysfunction. The doctor handling a specific problem such as your heart would be the one to order the testing. Since you have already had your heart tested I would think this has already been ruled out.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my heart doctor did an ultrasound, xrays stress test and even a catherization. and all came back fine. so my question is even if
if im having these heart palpitations high heart rate and shortness
of breath can this still be autonomic nervous system. and with these
symtoms what doctor is the correct one to go see.

should i go to my heart doctor and ask him to test my autonomic nerves?

or can i ask the neurologist?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i forgot to ask. is this reversible? progressive? life threatening?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you Karol, What is tilt table study? and to what doctor should i go for this?

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
It is also possible to have palpitations, high pulse and shortness of breath from an array of other reasons.

I used to have all of the above and no sinister reason was ever found. Turns out the first two were simply exhaustion from trying to do a job I could no longer do (and no doubt the worry linked to that).

The last seems to be linked to muscular problems I have around my thoracic cage as well as pulmonary muscles but it could just as easily have been anxiety as that can also cause bouts of shortness of breath.

There isn't always a reason why and often rest and not worrying about it can do a lot to solve the problem. Obviously, I'm not saying ignore it - things need checking out but once they have been and all's fine then we need to look at ourselves and see if there is not something we can do.

Katharine

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks Katherine, should i ask my rheumy to put me on steroids? do you think this might be able to help with these symptoms? i would really like to do something about this. the shortness of breath is always there even when laying down. i dont feel like im running out of breath it just happens automatically. then the palpitations come and go usually once a day.
and the same with my pulse it happens once or twice a day.

Karol please let us know how everything goes for you.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i forgot to add that the antidepressants is helping me. i feel much better in that perspective, and i only been on them for about 3 weeks.:)

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Sushi,

It's great to hear that the anti-depressants are helping. Be careful not to let your treatment slide this time :)

I don't think that being put on steroids is a good idea unless you have severe disease activity or are in severe pain (flaring). Even then, they would be used sparingly and for a short period. Your rheumy is most unlikely to want to put you on them as steroids have significant side-effects that are best avoided if at all possible.

Katharine

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you very much Katherine, lazylegs, and Karol.:):):)

·
Registered
279 Posts
guess u have been checked 4 low iron this can also cause breathlessness

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you dixy, i have been through so many blood test and scans that i cant remember but ill ask my gp.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts