The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I don't post here much, mainly becasue I'm generally fairly well, but I thought you might be able to help with something. To cut a long story short, I've been on both methotrexate and MMF (cellcept) in the past - they worked to varying degrees, but I had to stop both due to bone marrow suppression. I didn't take any immunosuppressants for a year but things started to go pear shaped again, so I was started on azathioprine before Christmas. The same thing is happening again - I'm now down to 25mg aza four days a week, a dose so low I'm beginning to wonder what the point is...

Anyone else had this happen? Any thoughts?

Cheers!

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Fairy,

Its sounds like your body can't handle the immune suppressing medications anymore. Are you taking any prednisone? How does your lupus affect you?
I ask because some of us are able to use the tnf inhibitors that were developed for RA. They mainly help with joint pain and fatigue issues. Before I started on Enbrel last year I took Arava for a couple of years with good success. What is your doctor saying?

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I can't take many immunosupressants as they make me vomit horribly (metho, aza etc) so in the end we just have to use prednisione as my main immunosupressant. As my lupus is rather severe I have also had iv cytoxan and rituxan to keep things under control.

How do you do on prednisone ? If there are drugs you can't take, then basically you just have to rely on the drugs you can take, which for me has been pred.

hth

raglet

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I'm on 10mg pred daily and plaq. Most of the time I'm fine, till my doctor tells me my kidneys are being irritating again. I haven't really asked him what next - I think we were both just hoping this would work.

Oh well, pred it probably is then.

Cheers :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts