The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's me, moaning Minnie again:hehe:

Lets just say the last few days have seen a marked increase in my pain and discomfort for no apparent reason. I couldn't take the pain and lack of sleep anymore so called my GP who saw me right away. He was very thorough but wasn't sure what to do so called the secretary of the Rheumy that I saw just before we went on holiday and asked for me to be seen.

I felt bad as I know they are such a busy unit he saw me at noon today after his clinic. Again it was a very thorough examination and he found all the tender spots and could see how much pain I was in. I also had another chest x-ray which was clear.

The upshot is that he is convinced it is not lupus related as my bloods are still fine - but he took some more just to check. He now doesn't think it's costo but not sure what's going on as it's not a classical presentation.

I am also scheduled for a bone scan to check for a fracture and I've to attend the rheumy day ward on Tuesday - if I'm no better they will admit me again. He stressed that this is serious due to the amount of pain I have and he will do the best he can to get to the bottom of it. I had the option to be admitted today but the doctor wasn't keen as he wasn't around over the weekend. He made me promise that if I got worse over the weekend I had to come in right away.

From a meds perspective he was against steroids but felt that a weeks burst wouldn't do me any harm (40mg a day). He's replaced all other pain meds with Tramadol (Ultram) - I've never been on such strong pain meds before and after taking 2 earlier I'm not sure I like how they make me feel :wacko:

As I've said many times, I can't fault my care on the NHS.......I hate that I'm bothering so many doctors but they have been amazing and I told him so. I was with him for almost 2 hours today and he missed his lunch!

I am signed off work for another month but it's been confirmed that I am going to be made redundant in the next few months. Something I am genuinely gutted about but a worry for another day.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi Moaning Minnie,

Golly your going through it at the moment!

I'm off to bed, but before I go just wanted to pass on bigs hugs and get well wishes! Please have lots of rest and lots of pampering from your husband!

Take care,

Love Lesley

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Pam I am really sorry you are going through so much- thank goodness you have such dedicated doctors.
That's really tough about your job too

I hope you will be feeling better very soon

Many hugs
Clare

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Pam

Im sorry you are having such a horrible time with this pain but Im really glad to hear that your doctors are trying to get to the bottom of it. It must be so wearing on you :hugbetter:

Dont worry about the redundancy. You will find another job because you have many skills. Dont let this shake your confidence. It may take a while and you might just be glad of the space to recover from whatever is going on but remember that things change all the time. Don't view your future through today's glasses.

It will be interesting to know if the steroids make an immediate difference. That would be quite telling for them.

The Tramadol 'stoned' feeling should ease off after a few days. At least thats what happened to me. I was prescribed them but dont like taking them because I cant manage them and work/drive as well but I remember a time when I didnt have to drive/work and they did help the pain a lot. I understand that feeling of not being in 'total control'. Just hang in there and see if they help the pain over the weekend. The side effects ease off after a while.

Much Love
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Hello,

I am so sorry you have to go through all this pain.. It must be awful for you... I hope this weekend is pain free and that you get some rest...
It is good that you have a good team of doctors working with you... That is so important, I too have a great team of doctors and they are amazing... Take care of yourself and rest..

Love Penny

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Pam,:hug:
I am so sorry that you are in soooooo much pain:( You really need to take the meds and if it doesn't get better please go back. Please also rest!!!!! Is your hubby home yet? Take care my dear sweet friend:there:

Hugs,
Becca

·
Banned
808 Posts
(((((hugs Pam))))) < gentle ones.

Sometimes it really doesn't rain but it poors. I am so sorry that you are in so much pain, and only hope that it improves and quickly.

Tramadol are great painkillers, it does take a while to get used to them, I know the feeling you mean, it does ease off, and they should help to get on top of the pain, and let you get some rest and respite from it.

I am really glad that the doc and your care has been so good, you deserve nothing less, and it sounds as though this doc is thorough.

I am so sorry about the redundancy, but the most important thing is you at the moment, when this is sorted you will feel stronger, and hopefully things will turn out for the best.

I hope that hubby is around for you, and that things will start to get better soon.

Lots of love xx

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Dear Pam :there:

Good grief,I'm so sorry you're still in pain!..I'm glad you have such good doctors though,I'm sure they will get to the bottom of it!

I hope the tramadol helps & the side effects ease off.

I'm so sorry to hear about your redundancy :sad: ..please try not to worry too much you have enough on your plate at the moment (easier said than done I know :rolleyes: )..maybe there is something better out there for you pam...I know it can be annoying when people say that everything happens for a reason but I have found that's it usually the case :)

take good care pam :hug:
good luck on tuesday, please keep us updated & I will keep my fingers crossed for you!
love karen x

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
((((((Pam)))))))) Horrible to still be in such pain! I'm glad you are getting so much immediate care from your physicians. Sounds like you've got good ones. Do be gentle with yourself and keeps us posted.

Sunny

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi Pam sorry you are not to good the tramadol is a morphine based tablet that could be the spaced out feeling you are haveing i do hope you feel better soon.About your work it is hard to say dont worry about it but you do.If the worst comes to it you will just have to apply for disability and if you need a hand with the forms then pm me and i will give you as much help as i can :there: sending you Best Wishes Elisabeth

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
thinking about you

Dear Pam

I sure am sorry to hear you are in so much pain(hugs).I am also very sorry to hear about your job but i am sure you will find another one((((hugs)))).I took tramadol for the last 3 years but did nothing for me anyway so i stopped taken it.I think it might work for you though.Please let us know if the prednizone works for you please.I will be thinking about you and hoping things get much better and soon,((((((((hugs))))))

Tammy

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish I could reply to each and every one of you. Things are still no better - had a bad night with the spasms. Thought we were in for a trip to the hospital. Was shocked to find out that Tramadol was morphine based!!! No wonder I was out of it. Didn't like the feeling so only taking 1 every 4 hours then 2 before bed.

Still not sleeping but feeling very calm while lying there. Could be combination of the pred and tramadol. Feel like there are only a few times tht I feel lucid at the moment. Oh and found out that one of my bloods showed a difference - low C4 but consultant wasn't that worried by it :(

Hope to post on Tues but if not you know I've been kept in.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
98 Posts
A huge hug for you!!!

Hi Pam
I can't believe how much you are going through lately.
I am hoping that your major setback will soon end and that you'll soon be painfree and feeling alot better. The prednisone should kick in and help quite abit.
In some ways, I hope they do put you in hospital so they can monitor you very closely & give you lots of medical attention so you can recover quickly.
Please try to rest and let everyone around you pamper you!
Ring that bell often if you have to and remember,so many of us are thinking of you and sending you a big hug!
I hope you know that so many of us care so much and we want you back on the road to a speedy recovery as soon as possible!!!
Your Pal
Shirley

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Pam,

I am sorry you are living in so much pain. I know how debilitating pain can be. It can affect you both physically and emotionally. If you find yourself getting depressed please ask for medication to treat it.

Just so you know, Tramadol is actually a fairly mild pain medication. Most people have a response like you did to almost any pain medication the first few days. Anytime I am put on a new pain medication I will not drive for at least 2 days or longer if I feel out of control of my body. According to Wikipedia it is a synthetic form of codeine. However Wikidpedia information can be suspect. I am having trouble finding which drug maker makes it. My mind is not at full speed tonight. :wink2: What I am trying to say is there are stronger pain medications available. In the UK you do not seem to have as many as we do in the USA but there are alternatives.

Last summer I thought I was having another bout of costo when in fact I had muscles spasming under my ribcage. I had 2 injections one week apart and used Lidoderm (lidocaine based) patches nightly until the pain finally went away. I don't know if you are experiencing the same thing or not. If the doctors come up empty again next week you could ask if a pain management doctor might be able to figure it out.

I truly hope for you that the pain eases sooner than later. You are in my prayers.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gosh - thanks again guys for support. I couldn't remember posting the other night :blink:

The doc let me out for good behaviour today ;). My bloods taken on Friday were yet again fine so he is convinced it is something 'mechanical' i.e. muskuloskeletal.

It is either a connective tissue or bone problem which the bone scan will determine. Although my lupus bloods are fine he feels I have been possibly been susceptible to connective tissue damage and have torn some tissue inadvertantly. The only thing I remember doing a couple of days before the pain was vacuming the stairs - which in my house is no easy task as we have 2 flights.

I have to continue with complete rest and the Tramadol as it is likely to take weeks and into months before it heals properly. The Tramadol is controlling the pain and the doc said I looked more human today than I did on Friday as I just looked desperate with the pain.

Karen - it's funny how meds affect us, I've had no real side effects from Plaq, Cellcept or Pred but on analgesics........boy am I cheap date LOL! :lol: The docs are very cautious about prescribing pain meds here as there is a high focus on addiction. The 50mg of Tramadol every 4-5 hours seems to be doing the trick at the moment. Hubby says I am so funny as I'm very loved up with everyone and the world. :love2:

As always you guys are there and I hope to return the favour. :foryou:

Thanks again and lots'a'luv,

Pam xxx

P.S. Can you tell I'm a bit more with it today :lol:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Pam,

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling a little better. I hope that scan or something tells you what has been going on. It is far nicer when we know why something is happening. Kind of easier to deal with!

Here's hoping full recovery is as speedy as possible,
Katharine

·
Registered
893 Posts
Pam

Are you feeling all lovely on a pain relief drug...give me some!!

Im up and down with this darn tooth!!

Keep us all posted on how things are going etc....

Real kdjkdjjjff!!!!££""%%$$ about the job thing......

Knuckle down and weather out your health and deal with the rest in good time.

Love to you

Nicky

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Katharine - with having lupus it's easy to instantly worry and think things are getting worse. I've tried to be rational about all of this but the pain has just driven me insane. It is good to know that it's not too serious but a reason behind it would be good.....coz I'll make damn sure whatever it was doesn't happen again LOL! :lol:

Nicky - Sorry to hear you are still suffering with your tooth. Yes I am feeling all pink and fluffy and the mo :cloud9: but wouldn't want it to continue to be honest. Don't quite like the out of body feeling. As for the job thing, I'm learning to accept it. I knew it was coming but it was still a shock. This job was a big step up for me and I got to travel and make great friends. I'm lucky that I'll get 3 months paid leave and I'll keep those friends so I just need to knuckle down and get better.

Hubby has stayed positive through all of this - especially as I've gone down a dress size and got my curves back! Easy tiger.....:rotfl:

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
11,410 Posts
(((Pam)))

What a time you been having.

I hope you find out soon what is going on with your scan.
Take it easy and gets lots of TLC from everyone.:wink2:

You have been in my thoughts. Sending positive thoughts your way.

:goodvibes:

Lyn

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
gosh, you have been having a hard time ! I take tramadol for migraine and it definitely wipes me out, but then with a migraine that can be a good thing.

Hope you feel better soon

raglet

1 - 20 of 21 Posts