TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI everyone.

I was very sick on Monday night, vomiting, and so Tuesday morning my hubby got up and brought me to the hopsital at 6:00a.m. They gave me nausua meds that was great and some fluids. My fever was 101 and they gave tylenol. I figured I had a virus but was so weak I could not stand up.

They did a ct scan of my abdomen to make sure no kidney stones. My urine showed protein 1+, mucus and my WBC was high. I didn't ask was my blood WBC high or the urine.

The scan was normal and they kept me there because my blood pressure was 70/45 and gave me more fluids.

I left it was 90/55 and they said maybe because dehydration.

They did not seem concerned about the urine test. I told the doctor there the last two tests came back that way. They said you have gastritis or the flu and because your body deals with things differently you had all these problems along with it.

They gave me nausua medicine and woke up with a rash so allergic to that one.

But my question is I have three urine tests now, all showing protein 1+, blood, mucus. Should I not be concerned or should I ask to see someone?

I have never, ever had protein show up all my life and have urine done quite frequently. Any thoughts?

I feel very weak today but am holding down food.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Paula,

I'm sorry that you had such rough few days. Gastroenteritis is awful:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:. Last time I got it I also got so dehydrated I couldn't walk straigt or speak properly:eek:. I suspect lupus and the immunosupresion tends to make it worse for us than a healthy person.

Good you are home and on the mend now.:p

In regards to the kidney question, this is something you have asked previously, and also had investigated if I remember rightly - and there was nothing found with the kidneys and possible bladder issues - correct?

If you were dehydrated so far that your BP fell to 70/45 there is no doubt that your urine was extremely concentrated. Finding stuff in your urine is then pretty much to be expected, and I'd interpret these findings as primarily reflecting that you were sick at the time.

It would be sensible to have a urinalysis done soon to exclude any chronic problems, and for that matter regularly (at least twice a year). Of course anyone with lupus should be aware of and allert of the possibility of renal involvement. There are also other reasons for abnormal urinalysis results however, and your doctor should be considering these too. The first thing to suspect is always the thing that happens the most commonly - ie first rule out bladder infection and then look for other causes.

So, don't panic, but do get another urinalysis done within the next few weeks.

X C X

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI Cath
Thank you for replying to my post.

I have not had my kidneys ever checked out because there was no reason for it to be done.

About 2 or 3 years ago I think I had a urologist check me because of a trace of blood in my urine.

I have urine done probably every 3 months or every 6 months depending what the rhemotologist feels like doing I guess.

I had it in April, protein, blood and mucus. I had it done in July same results. Had it done in hospital, same results. Although yes those results could be from being sick, but since it was like that 3 months before and on two other occassions I just assume it is the same thing as before.

I just have never had protein show up in the urine before these three last times. I am not panicking because they did a cat scan of the abdomen and that was normal. Just curious and don't want it to get overlooked if it is something starting to happen.

Thanks again and hope all is well with you.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Paula:

I too have never had protien in my urine, and have had some in the recent past. Rhumy did an ultrasound and 24hr collection. Everything is OK, but I am now considered to have mild kidney involvement.

I go through phases of clean urine and others where protien and RBC's show up, I register high-normal on the 24hr's at that time, so they just keep watching.

I get a pee-pee test every 6 weeks, along with my normal bloods. I am on immunosupressants and prendisone, so I am hoping things stay in the not to worry section as I don't know where I would go from here!

I would definately raise the question to my rhumy if I were you. Better to be sure than sorry later for not asking.

Stephanie

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Stephanie.

Yes I am going to ask about it. I feel good that the cat scan came out good but I do think it is better to be safe than sorry. Sometimes they can overlook things. Right now I am just too tired and weak to call and ask about it. As soon as I feel better, I will call and find out.

Thanks !

·
The vortex of insanity!
154 Posts
I've always spilled protein since I was very first diagnosed I've had kidney involvement. Most lupus meds though do do something for your kidneys, except for plaquenil, and cellcept is aimed pretty much directly at them. Do you have other symptoms of kidney involvement? Mostly fatigue and often thirsty, and often peeing are the main ones. I drink and pee like a racehorse sometimes! :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts