The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be at the dr's a lot the last ew months now on and off, is it just me or is anyone else getting a lot of back pain???

im not silly, i know when i have hip and leg pain, that makes me walk different, but recently i havnt been using my stick, ive been trying to walk up right, or lean on hubby,

And this pain as being left middle lower pain of back

Im also getting rib pain upper side and back, which feel different from lower pain, the side upper pain is pulling pain, i know weird,thats also left side .have been dr's he gave me aube of local Analgesic cream, cant take the meds,he also gave me tramadol
but this seems to be geting worse, went 2 weeks ago this friday, will leave it all this week but if no better im off back, he thought it was cosochrodritis, im not so sure now, ive had that a lot, this is now feling different to me.. just wondered if anyone else was getting this?

And everytime i move it starts, but not like siatica, no nothing like that pain.its not running down at all, it stay's around that area??

thanks for reading....:hehe: Lin xx

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Lin :)

A lot of people (both lupus sufferers and general population) suffer from back pain. It is often very difficult to pinpoint exactly what is causing it. Lupus doesn't usually cause back pain but of course if you had costochondritis and it was radiating out that could feel like back pain too.

It could be a pulled muscle or a variety of other things including even general weakness in muscles around your spine. If the docs can find no physical reason (have you had an x-ray done?) maybe seeing a chiropractor might be useful but I'd run that by your doc before going.

Sorry I can't help more, I hope you find a solution quickly.

Katharine

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi Lin

I have back pain. I have deterioration in the lower lumbar disks. Cysts between the lumbar disks on right side. I have a hair line fracture on my L5. I have deterioration at the sacrum. I have deteriorations from neck down to rib cage. I am in lots of pain, and no doctor will give me pain medications because of severe allergies. Have on again off again Brusitis pain right hip. Left side back pain, and hip pain becoming more problematic over last 2 years. I tested positive for HLA B27 - not doctor has diagnosed me with Ankylosing Spondylitis (a doctor did say I can't believe you have Ankylosing Spondylitis).

Hugs

Gerri

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Lin

Im not going to be of much help to you except to say I have also been suffering a lot from back pain over the past four weeks or so. At the moment I have bad pain where you describe - left lower middle back area. Its very painful and has been there just over a week now.

I have also had lower centre back pain over the previous few weeks although this has eased off a good bit only to be replaced with the pain towards the left :(

I really have no idea whats causing it but like most things I tend to go along with it for a while before seeking doctors advice. I have sciatica and some arthritis of the spine but it doesnt feel like the pain caused when these are acting up. The current pain is very intense and feels like someone is constantly pushing hard against the area. Its painful to move in the bed or get up and down from the chair or in and out of the car.

I dont have the rib pain you describe so its probably something completely different to yours. I just wanted to stop by and send you a few empathising hugs :hugbetter:

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
(((Lin)))

I am so sorry you are feeling so rotten.:(

Have you had any back x-rays? Have you tried any muscle relaxation pills?

I just went to my chiropractor this week. I always get it in the neck and my lower back. He knows I have lupus and he has my med list of all my pills that I take. Just like any doctors there are good ones and sour ones.

Take care of yourself and I hope you get relief soon.

:grouphug2:
Love,
Lyn

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Lin,
I am reading your post and Oh MY God it is me but the right side and a little bigger area. What is going on with us? I have been on ultram for the past 4 years at least. It got to the point that it for the most part stop working on it. They wanted me to start a stronger pain med but I can't do that. They have me doing PT now and took labs. My gp is looking into it being lupus related.

I hope that you start to feel better I can really relate to your pain and all that comes with it.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks girls, seems lots of us are sufferning the same. so im sending

((((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))) Back to you too
it makes you feel sdown doesnt it, well im giving it till this friday as then i have had it over one month, as ive been dr's 2 weeks ago. So will be back there next week, its dragging me down now,

And im not a person who gets depressed, but everytime i try to walk or do little jobs it starts grrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Hope you all get better days to, i really mean that luv to you
Lin xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:grouphug2:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi Lin :wavey:

Long time no see hun, how are you keeping (apart from the back pain).

I have suffered with back pain, mainly lower back, right middle i think best describes the area but i do sometimes get it same place but left hand side, for nearly 5 years now.

It hurts when i stand, walk, lay on my back or my front, after about 3 minutes the pain starts and it doesn't go away until i either sit down or lay on my side (but i have problem with laying on hips).

I have had x-rays and an mri scan but nothing as shown up on either, the pain clinic tried doing some facet joint injections but they didn't make any difference. I now take oxycontin for pain (150mg) every 12 hours and oxynorm every 4 hours, i have also tried mst but nothing at all seems to help with the pain in my back.

I hope you get some help from your gp, don't leave it too long before you go and visit as back pain is no fun.

Take good care of yourself :hug: Jo :hug:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi ((Lin))
How you doin? I often wonder since you've had it rough for a bit.

I know that back pain is not supposed to be due to lupus but I wonder if it is the result of us waking or holding ourselves at awkward angles because of the join pains.
I know i walk at a very peculiar angle when i get up in the mornings:sad: because of stiffness.
Also if you have one bad hip or knee, favouring the other can put your back into disalignment.In which case perhaps physio or a chiropractic review may help. This may not be the case with you Lin but might be for some of us.

Feel better soon

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi jo,
Thanks Bigsis , i have wondered the same as you too.
think im going have to go down next week, i left it 2 weeks before i went see him, saw him 2 weeks ago, so it gone on long enough, have got painkillers but like jo as just said they dont do much

maybe more physio would help, im not sure but thanks for all your help, if it not one thing its anorther :) Lin xxx

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Lin,
I have battled back pain with my lupus for as long back as I can remember. For me, massage therapy has been more beneficial than physical therapy was. Each of us has our own best therapy. I have degenerative osteoarthritis in my lower spine, and had several whiplash episodes in my neck as a young adult. Getting regular massages helps to keep things supported and strong.

I was lucky to find a massage therapist who understands autoimmune diseases and works to keep my immune system down, rather than activating it.

Whatever works for you, will be the right modality.
Sally

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.