The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Sorry in advance but I am about to have a good old moan. Feeling very sorry for myself today. I was only officially diagnosed 5 weeks ago but like so many others I have suffered symptoms for years. Joint pain and exhaustion luckily have been my only problems. Lately though I have been having episodes of itchy skin but its not really itchy and itching it does not help!!!!!!!! It feels like all my nerve endings are on high alert, or like really intense pins and needles. It is very painful and can last an hour or so. I don't know when its going to happen or what triggers it. Hence my bad start to the day. I was trying to get ready for work this morning. ( I do four hours a day/five days a week..... don't know for how much longer though :sad: ) I feel the all too familiar tingling start in my right leg and then ten mins later I am writhing around on the bed almost ripping my skin off with all the scratching. Have to call in sick AGAIN and I am now typing this back in bed. Don't know if its all in my head but I think my stomach swells up and my chest feels abit tight while all this is going on. Probably because I get so worked up. Spoke to my Rheumy who is convinced it is not medication related ( I am on 400 mg Plaquenil ) and she has said to keep a diary of the episodes ready for our next appointment.

Thing is I have recently emigrated to Adelaide, SA from Staffordshire, with my partner, 6 year old daughter and pet dog. We have been here around nineteen months. I have not felt well really since arriving and wondered if the stress of the relocation speeded up my Lupus. Although we have made some friends here, I have left behind my parents and a group of very close friends. I feel I have no support network here and it worries me at times like this. My partner is great and does what he can but he too is struggling to come to terms with it and obviously does not enjoy seeing me like this. That's why I started searching for a support group and found you guys. Feel a bit isolated at the min. I have even been considering returning to the UK so I have more help and support close to hand.:worried:

Told you it was a big moan but I feel I will be off loading my thoughts to you on a regular basis. Feel better for getting that off my chest.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

Claire XX

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi Claire, sorry you are having a bad day. That itching sounds very painful. I hope it isn't too long tilll your next rheumy appt. I hope he can give you some meds to help with this.

It must be very hard having relocated and having a lupus diagnosis. I expect you do miss your friends and family. Are they coming over for a visit soon or are you able to visit them? Maybe you could see if there was a lupus support group in your area so you could meet others who have lupus.

I hope your day gets better. Maybe you could try the chatroom facility, its a great way to chat to other members. Just enter and wait a while, someone usually joins you.

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
45 Posts
Claire,
I'm so sorry you are having a rough day. I'm kind of new here, but am always willing to send a smile out to anyone who needs it. Hang in there. You've had a lot of important changes in your life recently and it takes time to adjust. Some things that help when I get itchy are things that take my mind off of it, because like you said, the more you scratch the more it hurts or itches. I read, plug in my MP3 player, yoga, do housework. Keeps me preoccupied. If that doesn't work, I slather witch hazel on my legs (that's where I itch the most). It cools and soothes.
Hang in there. I hope you feel better soon!:)

·
11,410 Posts
(((Claire)))

You have been threw some big changes in the last 19 months. :eek:

Have you found a good rhumey? I think I would let him know about what is going on. You have a new symptom that needs to be looked at. It could be a number of things.

Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing.

Love,
Lyn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.