TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has balance problems.
Let me describe mine:
As soon as I get up my ears start ringing, my head gets fuzzy and when I try to move I get really dizzy or unbalanced.
Also when I need to turn right/left or bend I get dizzy or unbalanced.
It gets worse when I go out on the streets.
So far I have had a MRI, a balancetest for Meniere disiease,bloodtest for Lyme disease, went to a vascular specialst,also had special fysiotherapy for balance problems and had psychological help.All of this has not helped one bit.Even the psychologist said that he can't find anything wrong in the area.Been tested for hyperventalation and anxiety as well.No one can explain the extreme balance/dizzyness.
To be hones I am at a total loss and getting desperate by now, I have had this for a year now.Really don't know what else to do.Will get e second opinion at the ear doc in july but am not really hopefull.
I also would like to know if anyone knows of a medication for dizzyness.I have tried the regular stuff they give to meniere patients but that hasnt worked at all.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi again,

I had very frequent dizzy/fuzzy spells before I started treatment. I would often have to stop whatever I was doing because I would feel a bit "at sea". Once or twice it was so severe I wasn't able to move from where I was and even moving my head turned the world upside down. At the time I didn't have a diagnosis and the docs couldn't find what was causing it. I did sometimes get a low blood pressure reading when I went to the GP after and maybe that was some of the problem. I haven't had either the dizziness or the low blood pressure problem since starting on medication.

The problem is that there are so many possible causes for this but maybe it is part of your whole general "inadequate" treatment problem.

Katharine

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes my bloodpressure is normal, sometimes it is low but according to my doc it can cause dizzyness but not the way I have it.The medication hasnt changed the dizzyness.

·
Registered
19 Posts
balance issues

I also have that problem. Except in my case they have found that my heart rate goes up about 30 bpm. Sometimes I just get dizzy, other times I pass out altogether. From what I've understood I think it's autonuemic nervous system related.

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Hi Vlinder,

I get two different types of dizziness. The worst is vertigo. When I simply move my head the entire room just spins. The doctor says it is due to my cns issues. Meclinzine HCL usually works for me.

The second type is more of a spacey disoriented dizziness. It really affects my balance. When it first began I was always reaching out for something to steady myself. Turning left usually resulted in crashing into the corner of the wall or door jam. Using a cane helped. Rest helped also but it always crept back. Now when it happens for more than a week my rheumy increases my Prednisone for a bit.

Keep pushing the doctor. Hope you get some relief soon.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Yes, balance problems have plagued me from the beginning. sometimes it's too much motion. If I'm in a car and another car passes me, I have to grab onto something because it feels like the motion has just gone out of control, there's just too much. Other times this "thing" happens where suddenly everything will fall off, usually to the left. Then I have a hard time getting footing and I find myself reaching out to hold onto things. I've taken a few bad falls, the worst on Christmas day when I fell headfirst down the stairs, smacking my forehead on the wall. Part of that was footdrop. But also at the time I was having a hard time with confusion. If it try to do something with both hands, sometimes I get confused and can't think what to do. My head sort of spins. Lots of broken dishes cuz of this.

Nobody has ever tested me to see what's causing any of my balance problems. My dr. had me stand on each foot and then walk a straight line. From that he said I've got fine balance and no problems. Well, not right then.

I haven't found any medication that makes my balance better. Good luck to you and I hope you find an answer.

Sunny

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi,

Yep I get the balance problems to. I have CNS lupus so I just chalked it up to that. Also I normally have low blood pressure which can take a sharp dip.

I also have sinus problems. found out I had a low grade sinius infection (was DX by sinus xray) was put on antibiadics for 4 weeks....it took care of it.

hope you get an answer soon.

Elaine

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for answering all.
I hope I will get answers soon too.
Am going for a second opinion soon.
Are there medications you use for the dizzyness?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
sounds like you have an ear problem, so it's good that you are going to see an ENT. Hope you get it worked out soon.

I have balance problems caused by CNS but I don't have any dizziness going along with it. I have lesions on my cerebellum (balance part of the brain)

hth

raglet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts