TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any research on the effects of specific beauty treatments on lupus. I'm interested in products like alpha hydroxy and retinol (sigh, getting old), and was wondering if they were contraindicated with lupus. Any personal thoughts/experiences as well as links to research would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello :)

The final paragraphs of this article might interest you and provide more ideas

http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_empty.aspx?articleid=603&zoneid=76

I think it covers both systemic lupus and when the skin is affected

All I know about retinol ( Vitamin A) creams and the alpha hydroxy acids is that they can increase photosensitivity which has to be some consideration for anybody with lupus even if their skin is not already affected
I tried an AHA years and years ago before I knew any better, with dreadful effects of burning & redness. It's a sort of peeling. But my face is badly affected by SCLE and even the good skin is pretty sensitive.
I think it is a good idea to get expert advice before trying anything even if only to get reassurance.

I did have successful laser treatment from a top expert in lupus skin, for residual redness and I know this is only done when in remission and on an anti malarial to reduce the risk of reactivation.

Good Luck - let us know how you get on :)

Clare

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the link, Clare. What you said also made a lot of sense. I'm going to check with my dermatologist in a few weeks (kind of didn't want to ask him if I knew it was a no no for sure) and see what he says. I'm in remission now and have had very few lupus-related skin issues (so far, *touch wood*), so hopefully, he'll tell me something positive. I'll report back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to update this thread: I went to see my dermatologist, and he indirectly said retinol was ok for me as long as I wear sunscreen. The reason I say "indirectly" is because he prescribed tretinoin for me and said that it's stronger than retinol (when I asked about it).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, just wanted to continue this post... I know is old but my dermathologist also prescribed tretinoin and I'm doing great. Well, I guess that there are still some beauty treatments that women with lupus can try :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the update, Zapatera. I did continue using tretinoin with no apparent ill effects. Unfortunately, it also did nothing for my skin condition. :sad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts