TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a few days in the midlands and drove around a fair bit. Also sat in the park for about half an hour under a bit of cover. Now I'm in a bit of a flair :(

The sun was out but it was still a little chilly so I was covered fully neck down. The only areas that was exposed was my face and head.

Can the sun penetrate several layers of clothing to the extent to trigger a flair?

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Surferboy,

Each of us is different in how we react to sun exposure. In cases where people are very photosensitive leaving the head exposed could be enough to set off a flare.

The sun can penetrate a single layer of clothing but I would think you should be safe when wearing multiple layers as long as they were not too thin.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi surferboy,

The short answer to your question is yes!

There are reflected rays that would still affect your uncovered parts, head and hands, especially in the car I find that is the worst.

I can be covered from head to toe and still get a rash on my legs after sun exposure.

Of course it's possible for the extra activity and not enough rest to put you in a flare also. Or it may be a combination of the two.

love
Lily

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

I think that my photosensitivity has got worse since my dx last June. It may be down to bad luck or down the the plaquenil - I know in some people it increases photosensitivity rather than decrease it.

I'll start to drown myself in the sunblock as of tomorrow.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi again,

The possibility of being more photosensitive with some meds is there, but it is usually manifested as skin problems, not actual flares. So you might find that if you had other symptoms along with any skin problems, that it was the sun rather than any meds.

love
Lily

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Lily.

I guess I'll just have to use the good old trial and error method to try and suss out how sensitive I am to the sun - if at all. Hopefully not at all - but that's wishful thinking :)

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
surferboy,
Everyone there limit of sun exposure and for some it is any sun at all. This can also change over time. I have found that for me even fully clothed and under a tree is not safe. I flare even riding around in the car to pay bills with the windows up and the air on. I know some can spend limited amounts of time in the sun, but for me it is dangerous for me to be in the sun. I can't say this is good news as when I was a teenager I was one of those sunbathing beauities lol. Now I am more like a midnight special. I have heard that there is a company that makes clothes that block uv and ub rays that might help. I hope you feel better soon.

·
11,405 Posts
Just because you cant see that the sun effects you. I would still be careful. You don't know what it is doing with your insides. I myself wouldn't do trial and error method.

Hang in there,
Lyn

·
Registered
32 Posts
surferboy

:wink2:i know how you feel as regards to the sun even with factor 30 sun cream on i still get itchey red skin on my arms and legs even when coverd in long sleeves and a bid floppy hat [well it makes my kids laugh so thats all right] geuss we just have to be like vampires and only come out after dark.:lol:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I am so photosensitivity, my poor ear lobes had sores on them 2 weeks ago. I covered everywhere else, but didn't think about my earlobes, as recently had my hair cut short. :sad:

Sheila x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts