The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a bit (10 pounds) heavy before diagnosis but still looked ok. I was put on prednisone, although just a small dose for 3-4 months and now need to lose about 30 pounds.... ick.... I do have real bad joint pain, which I am sure will get better with weight loss (I am SO hoping). I am trying to cut sugar out of my diet. I work nights- sleep days. Does anyone have any good ideas for me? It would be so much easier with an exercise buddy, but all my 'buddies' are day workers. Anyone else having problems getting the weight off?

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, I can relate to your struggle with weight. I have gained weight with pred. Slowly after stopping pred the weight does come off. The best way to help this is a balanced diet and regular exercise. It can be anything from walking, swimming, to dancing away to your favourite cd!!!!

The most important thing is that you enjoy it, then you are more likely to keep it up!

Deb

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Here are some things I try to do, especially when on Prednisone.

Use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate. Fill 2/3 with fruits and veggies and 1/3 with your main course.

Eat slowly giving your tummy time to know it is full.

Eating 4 or 5 smaller meals is good if you can manage it. Doing this you don't hit empty and then gorge yourself.

Also have pre-cut snacks such as celery, apples, or carrots in your refrigerator.

Then the best thing is don't buy junk food. When it is in the house it is just to tempting. Once a week treat yourself to something good so you don't feel deprived.

Good luck. Dieting is never easy.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am not good about food so I turn to exercise. I would say set up a specific time to workout and make no excuses. Can you walk with friends before you go to sleep and they go to work? I have been on prednisone for over 4 years.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
lazy legs is right,

ive just dropped one stone off 14lbs, took 4 months to do grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! got another 2 to go, not easy i know, snack on carrot sticks celery, fill up with glasses of water when you think you need food,

cut down on bred if you can, dont eat fried foods or fast food, i follow a diet now s/world, works for me. good luck, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.