TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Staying Simple
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there all,

I've been quite pale these few days, since the last week of May. I'm trying to take more meat and milk, but till now it hasn't been improving much. Could anybody tell me what I should do? I don't think my body's really on the thin side either.
I used to swim a lot but I havn't been swimming for quite some time now. I do go out for some walk but most of the time I just stay home and study. Partly because I don't like tiring myself and leaving no energy for any other thing. The school and the food places are nearly the only places that I go to these days. Could it be because I'm not going out?
Other than being pale, everything is normal, except for the occasional joint pains after a long day of walk. I do not take Calcium tablets but I do drink skimmed milk instead. I prefer the milk better. I'm currently on 5 mg of steroid per alternate day and hoping to taper off to 0 mg soon. I have had kidney problems in the past, plus liver and heart involvements though not severe.
To sum up, the joint pains, the sleeplessness and the paleness are bothering me right now.
I'd like to know whether I should be concerned about being too pale.

looking forward to see your replies,
Sue

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
In your BL (before lupus) days, were you fair then? If so, and you are avoiding sun because of sle, then you will most likely look "pale". If you are naturally dark complected and have gotten "pale" recently, then I would talk to your doctor. Perhaps you are showing a low red count and need to increase something in either your diet or meds.

Bear in mind, that with sle avoiding the sun we will look lighter than many are. We don't pick up the summer tan and so at the end of winter are more light than the average person. For myself, I am very fair complected and so looked more pale than normal cuz I wasn't getting my limited suntan. I was never a sun worshiper, but would be outside with sports, so got a indirect tan that way.
Sally

·
Staying Simple
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Hi pink pearl,

thanks for your reply. Yeap, it may be due to my avoidance of sun. The last test I took showed normal counts of RBCs. I think I'll just check with my doc again to be sure.
Thanks for your advice. :)

regards,
Sue

·
Registered
62 Posts
I tend to get pale, when i'm tired and run down - could be to do with the end of your flare. Also the sun issue is going to have some impact on our skin - Just think be pale and interesting!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Sue,

I have the same problem and my pain doctor requested a blood test for Vitamin D levels that proved to be low. This can happen as we tend to avoid the sun. She had my PC handle the rx and I am now taking 50,000 mg (rx levels) once a week until further testing.

I asked why my PM doc would run a Vit D test and her PA advised me that they are finding that there might possibly be a link between pain and Vit D levels.

Emu

·
Registered
56 Posts
It could be your iron levels. I was pale for years but started looking better once I began taking iron supplements (a few months ago). I only wish they could take away my under eye circles as well! Have you doctor give that a check.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Sue

As GCCH suggests, it may be worth having a check to see if you are anemic. Anemia is a fairly common consequence of lupus and can make you look very pale. I have had recurrent anemia since I was very young.

Take care

Merle

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Sue,

It is no comfort to you, but your skin will thank you in the long run.
I am 51 and do not have a single wrinkle. (I suffer very badly in the sun).

What worries me is that you seem to be having a pretty miserable life right now. I think a treat is called for! Do you have understanding friends?
I hope things improve for you.
x Lola

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I think it may be worth seeing if you are Anemia, as I not long had bloods done, had a phone call from my G.P last week and I have to go on iron for 3 months. He has precribed them for me.

Sheila x

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Sue,
It is possible that it is because you are not out as much at you once were. I don't think it is much to worry about if there is not anything else going on at this time, but would not hurt to let your doctor have a heads up on what is going on so he could watch you for some other things and to make sure that it is not something trying to start up. I do hope that you feel better soon or should i say darken up a bit soon lol. Take care and watch for other things starting to happen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts