The Lupus Forum banner

Bibliotherapy, Poetry Therapy, Literature Therapy

858 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  peonyprincess 
#1 ·
Anyone out there who tried it in some form, or just have a recommendation on a book that has helped?
I liked reading Heinrich Harrers "Seven years in Tibet", based on a true story.

Would be grateful for all help I can get. I am concidering starting up a reading group in my town for young arthritis patients.

Thank You for Your time/ Li

#2 ·
Bibliotherapy group

:blush:...If you want to, please join the new social group;
'Bibliotherapy'.
(I can't link to it, I havn't posted 15 posts yet! :()

In this group we share books (or films, och songs) that helps us cope. It can be poems, or facts, or someones life story - true or fiction - that gives us a little hope and enjoyment. Or maybe insights.
It can be something we wrote ourselves, or together. It can be paintings. Photos. A melody. Yes, everything and anything therapeutic. Welcome!

...I deleted the group due to lack of interest.

#3 ·
Hello 'Swish'

What a lovely idea. I tend to read light-hearted books that have absolutely nothing what ever to do with illness, struggle, or strife.

I am very forgetful, but will try to remember, or at least hunt down my most recent reads, and make a brief post. I have just been out and bought 3 new books that look promising because I love to read before I go to sleep - which is great so long as I don't get hooked and end up reading until it is time to get up!

My favourite melody however, is easy. I am an aged punk rocker who now dresses like a mum, none-the-less ...

My favourite song of all time is ... 'Wonderful World' by Louis Armstrong.
'If I Were A Rich Man' from Fiddler On The Roof also puts me in a good mood as it reminds me of my grandfather.

My favourite story is a children's story - 'The Secret Garden'
and I am ashamed to say I cannot remember who wrote it!

I keep forgetting, when people ask what I would like for my birthday, to ask for copies of 'Absolutely Fabulous' which was a comedy series over here that appealed to my sense of humour and always put me in a good mood.

#4 ·
Books-DVDs

Hi Li
thanks for a great idea. I read Seven Years in Tibet at high school and loved it, especially the links to the Dalai Lama. Then when the movie Seven Years in Tibet came out I went to see it, and so enjoyed it. I haven' seen it for sale yet.

But I love my old books- then DVDs and bought them- Little Women, Pride and Prejudice, The Last of the Mohicans, We of the Never Never (aussie),Lord of the Rings,and many others. Latest I didn't see on movies, but just bought The Kite Runner. And of course Anne's House of Dreams and Pollyanna. Just bought Black Beauty. My youngest grandchildren sigh, so I give or lend, such as Titanic. So as well as my library and new book purchases, and DVDs I don't have to watch any TV I don't like
Enjoy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.