TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sooo embarrassed by the way these steroids are making my face look at the moment i look like a hamster. I want to cry everytime i look in the mirror, feel like i cant face my friends. Plus just went back to work on monday and its so ridiculously stressful can see myself back in hospital by the end of the week. steroids are reduced to 15mg since sat but im in agony on such a low dose. Can i do annyyything to make my face thinner? will it help if i dont eat? what it is that makes yur face go so round when you take them? :( want to curl up and hide away from the world. xxxxxxx

·
Administrator
7,565 Posts
Hi mooks

(((((( hugs )))))) I am sure that you don't look as bad as you think you look. When we are fed up we look in the mirror and every little flaw is magnified. I read your posts and am continually in awe at how well you battle with your lupus and still manage to work and get on with your life. With steroids you need to keep hydrated and eat sensibly. Unfortunately not eating won't help. However as someone who is back on steroids and hating the side effects herself, I do empathise. Could you take some time off work? I also think that if you are in that much pain that you need to get back in touch with your rheumy. You have had a rough time lately. We are here for you. Tell your rheumy about the side effects and how much you hate it.

I hope that you feel better soon.

Deb

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know just how you feel, I was devestated when I realised that I had a fat face, but then my partner pointed out that I was still me, he still loved me, I was fatter raced, but I was getting better. Don't stop eating, you ill just make yourself feel worse. Your friends will accept you for who you are, not what you look like, you are precious to them and to your family, dont give up hon, God Bless, ((hugs))
Rosie

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi,

This time last year I had pretty big issues about being "fatter" than I should be - all gained because of flaring and prior to meds. I was convinced that if I could stop pred I'd go back to my more normal weight. It almost became an obsession and I was running myself down about it. No-one else notices as I just don't dress with tight tops etc. (I used to have a very flat stomach with very strong abdos).

Then, while tapering I suddenly had massive breathing problems. Since then I figure that I can't afford to be so obsessed. Breathing is just so much more important. Not being able to is very scary as I'm sure many here would agree.

I know it's not nice, but just tell yourself it's temporary. I really hope they get your meds sorted soon. You haven't had much of a break recently :(

Katharine

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Mooks I haven't ever taken steroids but wanted to say your face is lovely and I'm sure it's still lovely even if round and puffy atm. The main thing is your health and making it through the day with as little pain and discomfort as possible. I know it must be hard to look at yourself seeming different and feel this illness taking it's toll. Hold on to the though that it's temporary, this too shall pass :hug:

xxP

·
Administrator
7,565 Posts
Just to add to the others posts, when I have complained to my friends about being on steroids due to weight gain, they comment on how much good they are doing me. In fact they have had many chats with me about how I am no different to them. They prefer me on steroids, as I am more 'fun', as I am able to do more socially.

When I text my friends recently to warn them I was back on the 'loopy' meds ( that's another story!!) they were delighted as it mean't I would be able to see them more. They see what's on the inside and that's what counts. The others have given good advice. Love them or loathe them, steroids work and we need them. Don't give up.

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
893 Posts
Mooks

When your not feeling well you know it magnifies everything espically how feel about how we look.

When we are feeling at our worst the the whole perception is magnified.

I really do not like the way my face puffs up either so I do sympathise.

I have been known to almost feel like crying then end up laughing as it so happened.

Having explained to somebody in a supermarket about my face being puffed up on steroids she I believe honestly said she wouldnt notice.

Hopefully Mooks you will have a chance to get back to some normality its a period in your life and it will not last.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Mooks,

I am sorry, your feeling so puffy and bad, right now.

I understand. I am on pred also, and it seems my dose goes highter all the time. I just continue to feel so bad, that I can't do without them. I am fighting the weight issue, and always hungry. I drink water continuously to fill myself up..

I miss sweet tea..so much.:( I already have diabetes, so I can't afford to cheat.

I sure wish I could give you a big hug right now. We might feel and look fluffier, but we are the same on the inside..Mooks.

Love ya,
Sandy

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Michelle,
You are very pretty and a round face don't make you not pretty. If you don't like what steriods are doing to you don't have a child lol, they make you look like a beached whale most of the time. No not eating will not change that, so don't even try that one. Honey it will get better just hang in there we are all still here for you anytime.

·
Lisa_S
441 Posts
Hi Michelle - I'm probably about to go back on prednisone, and I have to admit, the "fat" face (and water retention) is probably the side effect I hate most, even though I've also had fragile skin, osteoporosis, and AVN as a result of being on the stuff. You'd think those more serious side effects would matter more, but the "fat" face is such a visible sign of illness, and I hate it.

But I suppose it's better than the alternative, so I'm trying to focus on the nice summer clothes currently hitting the stores, and trying to decide what I'll buy when I've gained 3 sizes...

Hope you can get the flare under control and the steroids down to a more manageable level soon.

Lisa

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
(((((((Michelle)))))))

Just one question...

How can a woman as beautiful as you are look bad with a round face??? Your gorgeous!!!!!

Hold your head up high.;)

·
4,430 Posts
Mooks, plod through it, you battle really well and though you don't like what you see in the mirror at the moment you should be proud of what you see in you. This rollercoaster always has ups and downs.. you should be due an 'up' soon.. take care of yourself 'til then. X
Claire X

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you!!

awww guys thanks soo much for all your messages. :grouphug2:
I have just gone back to work on monday, after having three weeks off. My boss won't even look at me, let alone say hello. So I guess asking me how i am after being in hospital is out of the question. She is such a disgusting evil woman. She should be making sure im ok to be back to work (which im not) and ive been put in the most stressful area-havent even had time to take my breaks so far this week. I just know im going to end up back in hospital. Especially with my heart as it is. Stress+evil immune system is gonna kill me!!! I just don't know what to do. How is one supposed to survive without a job?!

·
Registered
182 Posts
:there::hugbetter: Hi Mooks,
I'm so sorry that you having such a bad time. Is there anyone at work you can talk to and also make an official complaint about your boss, she sounds disgusting and a very sad woman.

I would contact your HR Department and put in writing what is happening to you.

Please do not stress yourself (easier said than done I know).

As the others have said you are a bonny girl and you should hold your head up high.

:posy::pixiedust:

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))) mooks, i know just how you fel, i got another big fat face and tummy and lump back neck, and yes your soright we dont want to be seen, i hat hate hate it, and as for your boss she sounds a right bitch lovey, you try take caee of you, and mooks we love you as you are hun

hugs Lin xxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
It would be good if we could dish out a good dose of a month of lupus to evil bosses :mad:

The thing is, when needs must, people DO survive without a job - far better than killing yourself for someone like that. Of course, I agree that you should go the route of formal complaint and make sure that you don't lose any of your rights by walking out. You also need to bear in mind that the awful pasages you are having with your disease activity are more than probably made much worse by your job situation. What does your rheumy say about your job?

And remember, even in an economic downturn, other jobs do exist. Maybe you could look at trying to find something with reduced hours, a more understanding environment, some flexi-time, maybe some work being done from home...

hugs :hug:
Katharine

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hey Mooks,

Sorry your boss is so evil and nasty. I just dont understand how people can go through life being that way and treating other people badly. I am a believer in KARMA......What goes around comes around!!! You can not treat people badly and expect good things to come to you. Life just does not work that way.

As for the job, it is a tough situation to be in. Sick people can not afford to be sick and the thought is scary. If you that ill I am wondering if the possibility exists that you can go home with your folks? I know your not married and without kids and given your situation right now that may be a blessing.

I am not sure what advice to offer you here but want you to know that I am sending you soft, gentle hugs across the pond and I am thinking of you. I sure hope you do not land your butt back in the hospital.

Keep your chin up kiddo.:wink2:

·
Registered
631 Posts
((((mooks))))

What a nasty vile woman you have for a boss. How anyone can treat another person in that way is just beyond me. :mad:
I know that work is a necessity, but there are other jobs out there. I can understand that looking for a different job probably feels like climbing a mountain at the moment, but if it will help your health and sanity in the long run then maybe it could be something to consideration.
As for the moon face, well my heart really does go out to you.:sad: I know exactly how you are feeling and I have been there many times. It sucks but it does soon pass.
Sending you lots of hugs and I hope things get sorted for you soon.

Take care
Elle x

1 - 18 of 18 Posts